"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Parm Reg, Grana Padano Pecorino Romano and other similar cheeses are often served that way here in the US, too at bistros and wine bars. Often the balsamic is replaced by honey -- often unusual artisan honeys.

We eat those hard cheeses with honey quite often at hime, too. We like honey/cheese better than balsamic/cheese, but both are delicious if the balsamic is of good quality.
Actually, the top notch quality balsamic vinegar from Modena (which carries some impressive price tag) is really thick and sweet, somewhat reminiscent of honey. It is the kind that goes wonderfully with strawberries, and I can imagine it will be delicious with Parmigiano, or yes, good Pecorino (either Romano, Sardo or Toscano)

Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Head Chef

It is expensive...I have not bought any here but I did in UK....thick, thick thick...with a HUGE price tag, in a tiny bottle! I love balsamic with a lot of cheeses. I always dunk my cheese on toast in balsamic....the combination is heavenly.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
It is expensive...I have not bought any here but I did in UK....thick, thick thick...with a HUGE price tag, in a tiny bottle! I love balsamic with a lot of cheeses. I always dunk my cheese on toast in balsamic....the combination is heavenly.
Well then get some here before you head home!! I know it is still very expensive here, but I bet it is still much less than what you would pay anywhere abroad!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'll reduce my own balsamic to save the money - it's still nice and sweet and good.

mmmm.....honey - I love honey drizzled on stilton - getting some munchy ideas for this evening. The honey I have now came from my sister's ex-husband in Ohio - they have their own bees. It's a dark honey. Nothing "artisan" I'm sure but it is good.

Yes, I am going to try this tonight for sure!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'll reduce my own balsamic to save the money - it's still nice and sweet and good.
reduce?? Like boiling it down?? How do you do that? Who would have thought... another idea well worth trying!! Please share your technique!!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

This post is mouthwatering! I often eat cheese cubes with balsamic drizzled over them, but never thought about the addition of almonds! wonderful!

Kades - what type of balsamic is it? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Actually, the top notch quality balsamic vinegar from Modena (which carries some impressive price tag) is really thick and sweet, somewhat reminiscent of honey. It is the kind that goes wonderfully with strawberries, and I can imagine it will be delicious with Parmigiano, or yes, good Pecorino (either Romano, Sardo or Toscano)

I have some of that too. And it's awesome but to me tastes nothing like honey. The last time I was in Italy I bought some very interesting honeys at a small marketplace in Lucca and caught the honey bug, I guess.

I agree that the sweet/piquant Balsamico is a wonderful compliment to a salty cheese

Answering Umaniac's question: a common technique to give less expensive balsamic vinegar the richer taste and texture of an expensive one is to reduce it to a syrupy consistency. Works well but IMO, it's important to start with a decent vinegar and not one that is really red wine vinegar with coloring and sugar added.

Kelf -- if they have their own bees than I would probably consider that artisnal and delicious!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I have some of that too. And it's awesome but to me tastes nothing like honey. The last time I was in Italy I bought some very interesting honeys at a small marketplace in Lucca and caught the honey bug, I guess.

I agree that the sweet/piquant Balsamico is a wonderful compliment to a salty cheese

Answering Umaniac's question: a common technique to give less expensive balsamic vinegar the richer taste and texture of an expensive one is to reduce it to a syrupy consistency. Works well but IMO, it's important to start with a decent vinegar and not one that is really red wine vinegar with coloring and sugar added.

Kelf -- if they have their own bees than I would probably consider that artisnal and delicious!
Well, actually I made the connection of balsamic-honey in sense of its consistency and the surprisingly mild sweetness (while any "vinegar" is most often associated with strong sour, acidic taste), I wouldn't say they "taste alike"...

Thanks also for the further explanation of "reducing", I do have some cheaper version of balsamic right now, I will give it a try!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
This post is mouthwatering! I often eat cheese cubes with balsamic drizzled over them, but never thought about the addition of almonds! wonderful!

jkath - under no circumstances can you add avocados to this mmmm... hold that thought! I think I'm coming up with a new dish! With some of your lemons too! Oh jkath - I think I have caught your "avocado bug"

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath

Jkath,
The label reads, Antica Acetaia Cavedoni, Special Reserve EMPERER:S
balsamic of Modena, A tiny 100 Ml bottle was $$$ The botle is clear and has a wood stopper top, when you tip the bottle you can see the balsamic coat the sides and cling. It is as if honey had been added to the vingegar..I've only a tiny bit left, but plan to send away for more..This balsamic has a tag with it that say's it was tested to prove it is genuine aged 30 years..
kadesma

Tags
None