"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Parmesan Chunks, Almonds, and Balsamic

A friend of mine said when she was in Italy they were served this a LOT in bar-type scenarios/restaurants. She said it was served at the end of a meal - but I'll take it AS my meal

Cut a good quality chunk of Parmesan into roughly 1/2" chunks, add some whole almonds (I would have to go with the unsalted variety since the Parmesan has a salty taste but I dunno for sure). Place in a bowl and toss with a good quality balsamic vinegar.

Now that's what I call good eats!!! I can't wait to try this!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
A friend of mine said when she was in Italy they were served this a LOT in bar-type scenarios/restaurants. She said it was served at the end of a meal - but I'll take it AS my meal

Cut a good quality chunk of Parmesan into roughly 1/2" chunks, add some whole almonds (I would have to go with the unsalted variety since the Parmesan has a salty taste but I dunno for sure). Place in a bowl and toss with a good quality balsamic vinegar.

Now that's what I call good eats!!! I can't wait to try this!
Elf,
I don't know if they eat this in Italy, but were going to be eating some here
DH, bought me a small bottle of balsamic that I keep hidden. Compared to the 4,5, 10, even 20 dollar bottles you see in the grocery and specialty stores, this one is pure heaven,sweet and tart at the same time emmmm. I keep it for special things and this looks like one good idea...Just imagining some on a good parm..oh boy...

kadesma

Old 01-31-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
Head Chef

The parmesan is, I believe the very young softer sort, I have never seen it out side Italy, but it is different from even the freshest paresan, its softer...they sell it in cubes in the super market for serving like this, in salads or munching on. Its one of those taste revalations and if you cannot get it in US you MUST come here to try it, lol. Again, as a Somerset girl I would say its like eating Cheddar in cheddar. But this parmesan, is as I say younger and not of higher quality at all: but very different.

I like balsamic on anything so I am looking forward to this (which I have not yet come across it a bar!)
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I also make a "dip" of olive oil, balsamic and grated parm. With good bread it is very delicious.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Whoa... sounds sooo good!! It is a new idea for me, never seen or heard of this combination, probably it came from Emilia Romagna region where is a home to both Parmigiano and the best balsamic vinegar around(Modena). We need to give it a try!!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Lulu - thanks for the note on the difference in the Parmesan - she implied it was the same we get here - the harder Parmesan. I will have to go hunting for a young Parmesan. Thanks for the tip.

kadesma - we're going to try it here too - while the Parms may be different I can't imagine it would be totally BAD - especially until I find the younger version.

Candocook - sounds like a GREAT dip. Any specifics you can give for that?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Just to do it. POur in the oil, a bit of balsamic and then some Parm. As folks dip bread in it it becomes a bit of a "spread".
Now that I look back on your original post, how do you eat it--with the balsamic in it? On bread?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Head Chef

Yes, I imagine with either parmesan it would not be at all bad! But, if you CAN get hold of this slightly softer young parmesan I urge you to try it ;)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

From what I understand you just eat it like you would a bowl of bar nuts - she didn't mention anything about spooning it out or using forks - I will have to get the particulars and I will also have to ask her about the Parmesan again. I guess those with purple fingers have been eating it right out of the bowl!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Master Chef

Parm Reg, Grana Padano Pecorino Romano and other similar cheeses are often served that way here in the US, too at bistros and wine bars. Often the balsamic is replaced by honey -- often unusual artisan honeys.

We eat those hard cheeses with honey quite often at hime, too. We like honey/cheese better than balsamic/cheese, but both are delicious if the balsamic is of good quality.

Tags
None