"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Parmesan Custards

This is wonderful for brunch served with mushroom sauted in butter.or spinach, or cherry tomatoes. Just saute and serve any of these in butter it tastes great.
In a bowl combine 1 cup cream,1/4 cup milk,2 sage leaves,and a 2-3 inch sprig of young rosemary. refirigerate 3 hours to over night. Melt 2 tab. butter in small skillet over med heat add 1/4 cup diced onion,til tender. preheat oven to 325 butter 4-6oz. custard cups. In large bowl beat 2 large eggs,blend well, pour over the cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into eggs, stir in the onion, 2 tab. parm,pinch of nutmeg,add some salt and pepper Pour this mixture into the buttered custard cups. Put a roasting pan in the ovenpour in 1/2 inch hot water, place custard cups in the roasting pan. Bake 55 min. or til tops are lightly golden and custards set. Remove custards from pan let stand 15-20 min.Run knife round the inside of the cups and invert them onto a pretty serving plate. Serve warm with your choice of veggies sauteed in butter cascading over the top.
enjoy
kades

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

These sound absolutely wonderful...c&p! Thanks, Ma!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It does sound lovely, thanks Kades
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow, sounds really yummy. Where do you get these ideas Ma?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1

Sounds delish!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've never made these, but have had them served to me in a bowl of asparagus soup. While the soup was good the Parmesan custard was definitely the wow! part of the dish.

Custard has an immediate sweet connotation in the US, but not so in other countries. I am a huge fan of all savory cakes, quick breads and the like. I just may have to give these a whirl!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I've never made these, but have had them served to me in a bowl of asparagus soup. While the soup was good the Parmesan custard was definitely the wow! part of the dish.

Custard has an immediate sweet connotation in the US, but not so in other countries. I am a huge fan of all savory cakes, quick breads and the like. I just may have to give these a whirl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
+1

Sounds delish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
It does sound lovely, thanks Kades
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
These sound absolutely wonderful...c&p! Thanks, Ma!
My oh MY you all make me feel so good. I love this with sauteed mushrooms in butter I often add a little chopped garlic and then even try to lick the pan when it cools down. I hope you all enjoy it. Let me know.
ma
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

This takes me back. Years ago I made a similar custard (except for the straining) from Planter's oil, for Caramelized onion custards. Served them with prime rib, horesradish, yorkshire pudding & creamed spinach. Delish. I bet the Parm (or Gruyere) & herbs would put it over the top. Will keep it in mind for the Holidays. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Sounds fantastic - can't wait to try making these!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
This takes me back. Years ago I made a similar custard (except for the straining) from Planter's oil, for Caramelized onion custards. Served them with prime rib, horesradish, yorkshire pudding & creamed spinach. Delish. I bet the Parm (or Gruyere) & herbs would put it over the top. Will keep it in mind for the Holidays. Thanks for sharing.
I'm so glad you like the idea. Hope you get a chance to try it. Would love to have your reciipe onion custard. When you have time.
kades

Tags
anchovy, cream, garlic, parmesan, recipe, rosemary, sage

Parmesan Custards This is wonderful for brunch served with mushroom sauted in butter.or spinach, or cherry tomatoes. Just saute and serve any of these in butter it tastes great. In a bowl combine 1 cup cream,1/4 cup milk,2 sage leaves,and a 2-3 inch sprig of young rosemary. refirigerate 3 hours to over night. Melt 2 tab. butter in small skillet over med heat add 1/4 cup diced onion,til tender. preheat oven to 325 butter 4-6oz. custard cups. In large bowl beat 2 large eggs,blend well, pour over the cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into eggs, stir in the onion, 2 tab. parm,pinch of nutmeg,add some salt and pepper Pour this mixture into the buttered custard cups. Put a roasting pan in the ovenpour in 1/2 inch hot water, place custard cups in the roasting pan. Bake 55 min. or til tops are lightly golden and custards set. Remove custards from pan let stand 15-20 min.Run knife round the inside of the cups and invert them onto a pretty serving plate. Serve warm with your choice of veggies sauteed in butter cascading over the top. enjoy kades 3 stars 1 reviews