"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Pears as Appies

Try spreading either Camembert or Brie on thin slices of pumpernickel, pop them in the oven til hot then top with a thin slice of sweet pear or apple. Pears are also delicious wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto as are kiwi.
kadesma

__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
ChefToddMohr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, N.C.
Posts: 44
My favorite is goat cheese and mango on crostini. Creamy and tart!
__________________

__________________
ChefToddMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Try spreading either Camembert or Brie on thin slices of pumpernickel, pop them in the oven til hot then top with a thin slice of sweet pear or apple. Pears are also delicious wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto as are kiwi.
kadesma
I have to laugh, Kades, because when I first saw this topic, I thought it said "Pears as APPLES!"

Pears are SO versatile. One of the favorite things we do with them is use them instead of crackers for cheese and have that for dessert. Pears enhance so many types of cheese, and we just core them and slice them about 1/8-inch thick and put some cheese on them.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,936
I had an appie once at local bistro that was a caramelized pear slice (still crisp but with a nice burnt sugar coating) on a thin piece of toasted baguette, and topped with melted Havarti. It was one of the most satisfying little bites I have ever tried. I was just disappointed there were only 5 on the plate as I could have made that my dinner!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I had an appie once at local bistro that was a caramelized pear slice (still crisp but with a nice burnt sugar coating) on a thin piece of toasted baguette, and topped with melted Havarti. It was one of the most satisfying little bites I have ever tried. I was just disappointed there were only 5 on the plate as I could have made that my dinner!
Not an appie, but try replacing the apple in your next pie with slices of D'Anjou pear. It's a wonderful thing.

As for appies, ever eat a pear tart, with caramel on top? Absolutely yummy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Not an appie, but try replacing the apple in your next pie with slices of D'Anjou pear. It's a wonderful thing.

As for appies, ever eat a pear tart, with caramel on top? Absolutely yummy.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I made mini pear tart tatins for an appizer/dessert wedding I did this summer. They were a huge hit and would be similar to what you are mentioning.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Try spreading either Camembert or Brie on thin slices of pumpernickel, pop them in the oven til hot then top with a thin slice of sweet pear or apple. Pears are also delicious wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto as are kiwi.
kadesma
Kades, thanks for getting this going. Pears are wonderful to cook/bake with and yet don't get a lot of notice. I specially love pears and prosciutto! Such an interesting and tasty combo!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I have to laugh, Kades, because when I first saw this topic, I thought it said "Pears as APPLES!"

Pears are SO versatile. One of the favorite things we do with them is use them instead of crackers for cheese and have that for dessert. Pears enhance so many types of cheese, and we just core them and slice them about 1/8-inch thick and put some cheese on them.
I love pears, they are refreshing not overly sweet, just right with cheese..I should have worded my title a little differntly, but oh well goofy is as goofy does
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Kades, thanks for getting this going. Pears are wonderful to cook/bake with and yet don't get a lot of notice. I specially love pears and prosciutto! Such an interesting and tasty combo!
People tend to use melon with prosciutto and don't try it with pears. The flavors to me while both yummy I prefer the pears...
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefToddMohr View Post
My favorite is goat cheese and mango on crostini. Creamy and tart!
I love mango and this sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing the idea. will be trying it soon.
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.