"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

Pesto Appetizer?

I have been asked to bring an appetizer to a friend's home for a small dinner party tomorrow night(Saturday). I have a very busy day scheduled and wonder if anyone can come up with something I can make with some homemade basil pesto that I have in the freezer. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Lyndalou

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I have been asked to bring an appetizer to a friend's home for a small dinner party tomorrow night(Saturday). I have a very busy day scheduled and wonder if anyone can come up with something I can make with some homemade basil pesto that I have in the freezer. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Lyndalou
Lynda,
I like to take large shell pasta, cook then put some pesto in it, then top with finley chopped tomato and parsley and then top it all with some fresh grated parmesan...You can also slice roma's or take cherry tomatoes, hollow them fill with pesto and then top with parmesan pesto and tomato is always put together at our home..
kadesma

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I used to love to toast sliced bagettes just a bit and dip them into pesto sauce. It's very simple but very good. You can also add a thin slice of tomato on the bagette and then top with pesto sauce.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
plop a round of brie in a sheet of puff pastry rolled out to be larger than the brie.
spread with a good layer of pesto, twist the top to look like a flower (or attempt to, mine look like dead flowers) and bake til golden brown.
brie en croute. :)
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been making these all week from last year's frozen pesto: Take a French baguette and slice it on the bias about 1/2-inch thick; put in a 350-degree oven and toast lightly. Spread with pesto and top with chopped roma tomatoes and finely shredded Parmesan cheese (the imported stuff if you can get it). These go fast

Edited to add: You can also rub the toasted bread with garlic cut in half, to add more flavor.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Cut a sheet of puff pastry in half and roll it out a little to make it bigger. Spreadthe pesto onto it leaving a 3/4 inch uncovered along one edge. Add a layer of prosciutto, some grated parm. Brush the esposed edge with a beaten egg and roll it up like a jelly roll sealing the exposed edge to the roll.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Remove from the plastic and slice half inch slices and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Head Chef

Halve & boil some small red potatoes till fork tender. Let them cool. Hollow out the centers (leaving some potato inside), fill w a few tbls of pesto & top w a shrimp. Or you could make a Torte, adding in a layer of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic to the cream cheese, & topping with toasted pine nuts like so...

provolone-pesto-torte-appetizer.html
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cut a sheet of puff pastry in half and roll it out a little to make it bigger. Spreadthe pesto onto it leaving a 3/4 inch uncovered along one edge. Add a layer of prosciutto, some grated parm. Brush the esposed edge with a beaten egg and roll it up like a jelly roll sealing the exposed edge to the roll.

Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Remove from the plastic and slice half inch slices and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.

oh... just think of all the flavors you could come up for with this idea! Yummmy!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

The original version of this recipe called for basil leaves and gruyere so the pesto and parm was an easy sub.

You're right. All kinds of combos are possible.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Great idea Andy..it'd on the list of to do here..
kades

Tags
None