Phylo, how many layers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phylo are very dry and super thin, single sheet. These are made with an oil rather than a fat...

...Phylo doesn't 'puff' but does have multiple (and delightful) layers of crunch. It really depends on the recipe and the end result you are looking for.

Oil is a fat.

Phyllo with butter between the layers does puff up some but not as much as puff pastry.

Oil is a fat.

Phyllo with butter between the layers does puff up some but not as much as puff pastry.

Puff Pastry is made with butter. The water steams in the butter causing the pastry dough to puff up higher that just phyllo dough which is usually made with oil. In Greece they use olive oil for the phyllo dough.

Don't know. Have never thought to ask as, on the rare occasions I use it, I use the whole pack.

Well I went to their site, and they list Canola Oil. Then I went to my lonely empty freezer where I have an unopened package of the Phyllo dough sheets. That box lists several different oils. So I take that they mean it could contain any one of those oils.

My sister at one time had a landlady that came from Greece. She taught my sister many Greek recipes. Although my sister was unable to master the making of Phyllo Dough, she did mention that Alexis (landlady) used Greek olive oil when making her dough. But I will give my sister credit for trying very hard to make a disaster. Her efforts had us both laughing for the rest of the day. It came out more like modeling clay.

I reminded my sister that she wasn't Greek, but Native American. Stick to "corn."

BTW. Athens Phyllo Dough has a book consisting of a total 28 Pages. I only printed out 27. The last page is just an advertisement for their products. The book is FREE! The best kind. They also have about two more that you can get through the mail. I believe they are free also. At least I didn't see anything that mentioned money.

ATHENS® FILLO DOUGH - 14" X 18" SHEETS - Athens Foods

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-phyllo-pastry-71214

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom