Phylo, how many layers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Need a quick answer from anyone who is still up!!

Have to make some phylo cups tomorrow to hold a tsp of a spinach concoction for an appetizer. Thought I could buy them pre-made but duh.... no! So now I have to make them myself... my question is...

Pkg of frozen phylo that I have does not give layer recommendations nor temps and times...

How many layers/sheets would suffice? 2 certainly doesn't seem like enough... 3??? 4??? surely not more?

Press into mini muffin tins and bake at ??? for ??? minutes?

Since it is thin, and it does not 'rise'. Start making them, butter the bottom and sides of the tin. Cut small squares out of phylo dough big enough to fit side to side on bottom of muffin cup and up the sides. (6x6 inches perhaps, or 4x4 inches, get out your ruler), start layering --offsetting the corners of the squares, with butter between each layer (and on top and bottom). 3 layers may be perfect, 4 layers may be too many. You'll have to try a few and see what you like the best. (one layer might be too fragile to hold up) Bake the test ones, and see what you like best, browning the tips of the corners of the dough. I hope that helps, that is what I'd do.

ETA: It may only take 5 minutes or 10 minutes to bake, watch for browning, try a 350 degree F oven.

Last edited:
Oh, since you are using mini muffin tins, 4 might be enough. I think the 5 layers were for regular size.

Well, it was certainly trial and error LOL. but they actually came out very well.

1st.. think we 'buttered' the layers a bit too thickly - I didn't realize the brush I gave her to use soaked up so much. It was a new one which I hadn't used yet, my bad, should have given her the one I was used to. No harm done thou.

2nd.. we tried 3 - 4 - 5 layers. I preferred 3, she preferred 5. We compromised on 4.

3rd.. we started off with a 350 oven then bumped it up to 375. That went too quickly so we went back to 350. But truly have to keep an eye on them.. times varied with the thickness.

Filled them with a chipotle creamed spinach yumminess, popped them in the carry pan and off we went to our supper. (we should have doubled the chipotle called for :ermm:)

and I forgot to take pictures... sigh

Too funny GG, never thought of it in the biblical terms! :rolleyes:

Around here it is an acceptable abbreviation of 'though', but now that you've put the other pronunciation in my head... :LOL:

Too funny GG, never thought of it in the biblical terms! :rolleyes:

Around here it is an acceptable abbreviation of 'though', but now that you've put the other pronunciation in my head... :LOL:

I think "tho" would be a better abbreviation if you feel you need one.

Oh boy, now we are really getting into semantics!

One syllable verbalized words don't need to be... but in typing and writing a 6 letter scripted word could be.

When we see "Tbsp or tsp" we verbalize the words tablespoon and teaspoon.. we don't say thhhbbbsp tttssspp. :) Although Victor Borge might have!

Andy you could very well be right but I didn't invent the abbreviation. Like GG when she sees 'thou' she pronounces it biblically... when I see "tho" my mind says 'ow' with a th ... Which pretty much comes out to the biblical 'thou'. And don't ask me why or how the random actions of my cranial synapses' seem to control the semantic bouncing around in there!

Most phyllo pastry in UK is frozen so just a side-line - According to Delia Smith Phyllo pastry doesn't have fat in it so it's ok to re-freeze what you don't use.

Don't shoot the messenger as I haven't tried this.

"thou" is acceptable abbreviation according to Merriam Webster dictionary, I think ("I think" not because I don't know, but because I can't remember the discussion on NPR about which dictionary is accepting that spelling) .

Most phyllo pastry in UK is frozen so just a side-line - According to Delia Smith Phyllo pastry doesn't have fat in it so it's ok to re-freeze what you don't use.

Don't shoot the messenger as I haven't tried this.

I use frozen Phyllo pastry. I always re-freeze what I don't use. When I make my spinach pies (Ms. Mofet's Spinach Pies) I use lots of butter between layers and freeze uncooked spinach pies to be baked later. Haven't had a problem.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've always refrozen as well, even several times. Occasionally, it will start to tear easier but that's the only problem I've run into.

Puff pastry is multi layered with the butter already between the sheets.

Phylo are very dry and super thin, single sheet. These are made with an oil rather than a fat but then generally have butter or an oil spread between them to make them "flaky".

To a certain extent they are interchangeable but obviously with differences. Puff pastry "puffs". Phylo doesn't 'puff' but does have multiple (and delightful) layers of crunch. It really depends on the recipe and the end result you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom