Pickled Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
This will be my contribution to Xmas dinner appetizers tomorrow. My son loves this sort of stuff, so, after he and I go at it, there shoudn't be much left:pig:

If anybody is interested, here is the link. The Bitten Word: Pickled Shrimp

Don't laugh at my feeble attempt at decorating the jar. I'm a cook, not a decorator:glare::LOL:

Attachments

• DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
When I read the title of this thread my initial reaction was GROSS...until I read the recipe. Then I rushed right out and got all the ingredients to make this. This looks delicious. Thanks for posting!

tastes as good as it looks. Delicious. Tonight I will cook up some angel hair with some garlic oil and serve with these shrimp for dinner.

I found that they were a bit on the salty side. I would cut back a bit on the salt next time. They still were really good. I only had a couple and there was so much food that the jar didn't get attacked and ended up going back to Toronto in my son's box of gifts...

Taste very good. I made 2 batches. Since the first batch was made with EVOO only , I made the 2nd batch with half oil & half vinagar. Don't know why they called it pickeled , when it was really a marinade! (1st batch). Both were good.

I have a recipe I used to make--it is a pickled shrimp recipe that uses white vermouth, garlic, vinegar, tarragon. It is from a cookbook I have so I can't post it (copyright). PM me if you want to compare this recipe with the one Rock linked to.

I made this a few days ago and we liked it, but I did modify it a bit. I cooked the lemon, onion, garlic and spices in the oil for a bit to let it soften, and then cooled it before adding it to the shrimp. I used only a couple of basil leaves. I knew the amount called for would be too much for us. Next time, I'll leave out the allspice and substitute different herbs. I also didn't have Old Bay, but added most of the spices that are in Old Bay to the marinade.

My daughter loved it and made it later for her household. Only she ate all of it before anyone else got to try it!

I can see a lot of potential for this recipe. Can be modified very easily.

I made this over the holiday weekend according to the recipe. I liked it.

I too would cut back on the bay. For my taste it needed more lemon to amplify the pickle-ness of the dish.

I was not happy with the fact that the oil solidified in the fridge so serving it involved a waiting period. But that shouldn't have been a surprise. Olive oil does that.

Back
Top Bottom