"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
Master Chef

Potato Skins

I like twice baked potatoes, but my favorite is stuffed, fried potato skins. Some times we will have an appetizer meal with skins being one of the stars. For basics, I like bacon, cheddar cheese, pickled japs, sour cream and hot sauce. Pulled pork with sauce and a white cheese is also great. Mexican fillings, especially chorizo, cotija and salsa. How do you like your skins?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago when my daughter was feeding the whole fam damily, it was my job to make the twice baked potatoes, (along with the holiday cake.) Usually I buy a five or ten pound bag of Russets. But with as many mouths to be stuffed, I handpicked out large even sized taters and cut them lengthwise after they baked. Some had sour cream, some sour cream with scallions, some with cheese, etc. I pretty well knew who like what and they had a whole one each. (two halves) For those who ate only one half, it left the other half for someone to try.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

I prefer to fill them with bacon, cheese, and some sour cream, but a couple of weeks ago I didn't have anything except the potatoes and the cheese. So I thawed some hamburger, cooked it up, and stuffed the skins with that and threw some cheese on top. That was pretty good and I found out that rubbing olive oil over the skins and putting them under the broiler will crisp them up almost as much as frying them.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potato