Potato Skins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I like twice baked potatoes, but my favorite is stuffed, fried potato skins. Some times we will have an appetizer meal with skins being one of the stars. For basics, I like bacon, cheddar cheese, pickled japs, sour cream and hot sauce. Pulled pork with sauce and a white cheese is also great. Mexican fillings, especially chorizo, cotija and salsa. How do you like your skins?

Years ago when my daughter was feeding the whole fam damily, it was my job to make the twice baked potatoes, (along with the holiday cake.) Usually I buy a five or ten pound bag of Russets. But with as many mouths to be stuffed, I handpicked out large even sized taters and cut them lengthwise after they baked. Some had sour cream, some sour cream with scallions, some with cheese, etc. I pretty well knew who like what and they had a whole one each. (two halves) For those who ate only one half, it left the other half for someone to try.

I prefer to fill them with bacon, cheese, and some sour cream, but a couple of weeks ago I didn't have anything except the potatoes and the cheese. So I thawed some hamburger, cooked it up, and stuffed the skins with that and threw some cheese on top. That was pretty good and I found out that rubbing olive oil over the skins and putting them under the broiler will crisp them up almost as much as frying them.

With twice baked potatoes the skins are not deep fried, so they aren't crispy.
Thanks. I didn't realize that stuffed potato skins were deep fried. That sounds yummy. How does one keep the stuff inside the skin while deep frying?

To me, potato skins are halved baked potatoes, scooped out, leaving a little white potato on the skin, and they are like little boats. They can be deep fried, or brush them inside and out with oil, and bake them to crisp them up. Then fill them.

Memory of my dad: who didn't die of heart disease.
He would eat the middle out of a half of baked potato, then put 1/4 stick of butter in it and salt it, and eat that, butter squirting out everywhere.

Halve then scoop out tatter, throw it away, fill with mashed sweet tatter with butter through it, I also add creamed corn and bacon. Then reheat

Russ

Thanks. I didn't realize that stuffed potato skins were deep fried. That sounds yummy. How does one keep the stuff inside the skin while deep frying?
They're fried - or rubbed with oil and salt and baked at high heat - before stuffing. Then put the stuffing in and bake to heat it and melt the cheese.

Twice-baked potatoes are filled with enhanced mashed potatoes, while potato skins are usually filled just with bacon and cheese, with a little bit of potato left attached to the skin.

They're fried - or rubbed with oil and salt and baked at high heat - before stuffing. Then put the stuffing in and bake to heat it and melt the cheese.

Twice-baked potatoes are filled with enhanced mashed potatoes, while potato skins are usually filled just with bacon and cheese, with a little bit of potato left attached to the skin.
Thank you. Now it makes sense.

For a number of years I knew what everyone liked in the twice stuffed taters. So I would make two taters per person. Each person had four halves. One would get cheese, one bacon, one sour cream and butter, etc. I had these little flags that I got from a restaurant. (A friend worked there.) Put names on them. Stuck them in each tater half. Sure, it was extra work, but it was holiday time and for family members.

I cut all the taters in half, scoop out all the meat and mash it together with butter, salt, pepper. Then I add the other ingredients to them and place back in the oven to heat up or under the broiler to get some brown edges. One year I got real ambitious and piped the mashed taters back into the crispy skins. Did that only once.

For some strange reason, I used to love to make more work for myself.

I like twice baked potatoes, but my favorite is stuffed, fried potato skins. Some times we will have an appetizer meal with skins being one of the stars. For basics, I like bacon, cheddar cheese, pickled japs, sour cream and hot sauce. Pulled pork with sauce and a white cheese is also great. Mexican fillings, especially chorizo, cotija and salsa. How do you like your skins?
It sounds like you have a diverse and delicious range of stuffed potato skin preferences! Here's a description of how I might enjoy my potato skins:

I like my potato skins with a classic twist. I start with crispy potato skins loaded with a mixture of crispy bacon bits and sharp cheddar cheese. Then, I add a dollop of sour cream for creaminess and a bit of chive or green onion for freshness. Finally, a dash of hot sauce for that extra kick to round it all off. It's a simple yet satisfying combination that I find quite delightful.

However, I must say, your suggestions are quite tempting. The pulled pork with sauce and white cheese or the Mexican-inspired chorizo, cotija, and salsa fillings sound like they would make for an incredible treat. Potato skins are wonderfully versatile, and your choices showcase the variety of flavors and textures you can create with this appetizer. Enjoy your potato skins, whichever way you like them!

Another vote for baked potato skins!

Baked potatoes and baked potato skins are great served with creamy blue cheese dressing! 🐷🐷🐷

Don’t forget sweet potato skins!

Thanks for reviving this thread neikom.
I have a Russet potato I've been looking at for a couple of days, wondering how I'll fix it. No deep frying for me but might try some version in my toaster oven. All have me drooling at 8:30 this morning.

I prefer my potato skins down the garbage disposal. If you feed them in slowly a few at a time, they won't clog the damn thing!

I named my garbage disposal Arnold, in honor of the Flintstone's under sink pigasaurus and Arnold Ziffle, the pig on Green Acres.

I prefer my potato skins down the garbage disposal. If you feed them in slowly a few at a time, they won't clog the damn thing!

I named my garbage disposal Arnold, in honor of the Flintstone's under sink pigasaurus and Arnold Ziffle, the pig on Green Acres.
My Dad would tell you that it would be best to do the opposite. Toss the insides of the potato and eat the skin. All the vitamins are in the skin. On the other hand, tomatoes are the opposite. Tomato skin has no nutritional value...LOL.

While all the vitamins might be in the skins, most of the glycoalkaloid poisons are in the skins. There's of course some in the eyes and any green parts. It's not wildly poisonous, but it is known to worsen inflammation (worsen existing inflammation, not cause it).

It’ll give you bad diahhrea
Yes, the glycoalkaloid solanine, found in potatoes and other members of the nightshade family can give you bad diarrhea. It's a matter of how much. As they say, thee dose makes the poison. We eat lots of nightshades: tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, sweet and hot peppers, huckleberries, (tobacco is a nightshade that we don't eat), etc. The leaves and stems are often where the highest concentrations are, which is why we don't eat tomato or potato leaves or stems. According to Wikipedia,
Solanine poisoning is primarily displayed by gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, nightmares, headache, dizziness, itching, eczema, thyroid problems, and inflammation and pain in the joints. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia, and death have been reported.
Edited so I don't imply that we eat tobacco. :ermm: :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom