Pumpernickel Toast TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like all my sandwiches open faced. I don't like squashed food :LOL:
I absolutely hated school lunch, started packing my own in the first grade. I would always butter my bread and put my toppings seperatly and assemble my lunch at school. Guess the OCD started earlier than I thought.
I did everything myself from the age of 6, my mom just never did it right :angel:
I made my sammies and lunches too. I hated butter and wanted DRY sammies so Half the bread got tossed if mom made them. I didn't care for chips but loved celery,and cucumber sticks. just 2 cookies or crackers and I was set. fussy kid was I:LOL: My mom always was wrong lunch wise.
kades

I made my sammies and lunches too. I hated butter and wanted DRY sammies so Half the bread got tossed if mom made them. I didn't care for chips but loved celery,and cucumber sticks. just 2 cookies or crackers and I was set. fussy kid was I:LOL: My mom always was wrong lunch wise.
kades

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sounds like me when I was young! I used to grow my own lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. My lunch box usually consisted of cucumber sticks, baby tomatoes, lettuce, bread with a bit of real butter and dry fruit loops (didn't like them with milk) or Tuc crackers! My mom's sandwiches were always peanut butter and syrup or ham with ketchup and the bread was either soggy or soaked in hard syrup yuck!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sounds like me when I was young! I used to grow my own lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. My lunch box usually consisted of cucumber sticks, baby tomatoes, lettuce, bread with a bit of real butter and dry fruit loops (didn't like them with milk) or Tuc crackers! My mom's sandwiches were always peanut butter and syrup or ham with ketchup and the bread was either soggy or soaked in hard syrup yuck!
Both my grams had large lots full of goodies, cukes,maters, both kinds I loved the grape maters,lettuce loved it on a samich with my fav mayo and either a ham slice thin no grissel,tuna and again mayo dill pickles chopped, and green onions left whole to munch with my samich.Slices of left over roast beef were fair game for a samich with mayo, Boy was I weird:ROFLMAO:
kades

Sounds good, thanks!

now, does anyone here make their own pumpernickel bread, or know where I can find a good recipe?

I like all my sandwiches open faced. I don't like squashed food :LOL:
I absolutely hated school lunch, started packing my own in the first grade. I would always butter my bread and put my toppings seperatly and assemble my lunch at school. Guess the OCD started earlier than I thought.
I did everything myself from the age of 6, my mom just never did it right :angel:
Maybe you were Danish in a previous life. Danish lunchboxes are usually full of open-faced sandwiches. :)

Both my grams had large lots full of goodies, cukes,maters, both kinds I loved the grape maters,lettuce loved it on a samich with my fav mayo and either a ham slice thin no grissel,tuna and again mayo dill pickles chopped, and green onions left whole to munch with my samich.Slices of left over roast beef were fair game for a samich with mayo, Boy was I weird:ROFLMAO:
kades

You gotto be kidding me?! I ate my lettuce and all other salad sandwiches with mayo, pickles or both :LOL:
I also loved thin slices of ham with mustard, no grissel! I'd remove the fatty bits and so on from my slices of roast beef and the slices had to be thin. No chunky meat slices for me :LOL:
Pitty my mom's nothing like you :( If I left the cooking up to her I would have grown up without knowing what a vegetable is :glare:
Seems our food taste was even similar when we were kids!

Sounds good, thanks!

now, does anyone here make their own pumpernickel bread, or know where I can find a good recipe?
Soma, I've had this for years and never made it. I'll give it to you and hope it's what you are looking for.
MolassesPumpernickel bread.
@ tab. butter, 2 cups milk,1-1/2 tea. salt,1/2 cup dark molasses,1/2 cup warm water ( 110),2 pks dry yeast,1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar,1-1/2 cups whole bran cereal,3 cups rye flourand about 4-1/2 cups ap flour
1-egg yolk beaten with 1 tab. water.
In a small pan melt butter,stir in milk,salt,and molasses, set aside.
In large bowl,combine water,yeast and sugar til dissolved. Let stand til bubbly(about 15 min) Now add milk, mixture, brancereal, rye flour,and 2 cups of the a/p flour;beat til well blended. With wooden spoon,stir in about 1-1/2 cups more of the a/p flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out the dough to a floured board and kneadtil smooth and shiny (about 15 min) add flour as needed to stop sticking. Place dough in greased bowl,turn to grease all over. cover and let rise til doubled in size about 1-1/2 hrs. lightly punch down divide into 2 equal portions, knead each portion to release air. Now shape into a smooth ball and slightly flatten. Place each loaf on greased baking sheet for 15 min. Cover let rise for about 40 min it should double with razor blade or very sharp knife slash tops of bread make a tic tac toe design brush the tops with the egg/water bake in preheated oven at 350 for 30-35 min cool on racks. makes 2 round loaves.
Hope this works and I got it all down right.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom