"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pumpernickel Toast TNT

This is so good and it also works well with Rye bread. It goes well as an appetizer as well with soups and salads. Take and freeze one whole loaf of unsliced pumpernickel or rye bread My choice would be pumpernickel While frozen slice paper thin with sharp knife or meat slicer.Arrange in a single layer on ungreased cookie sheet. In a saucepan melt 1/4 lb of butter over low heat add 2 cloves crushed garlic and 1/2 cup fresh grated parm blend well. With pastry brush spread 1 side of bread with butter mixture. Bake in 325 oven til crisp about 15 min the edges will curl slightly. Cool and store in container til ready to serve. enjoy.Will make 30-40 pieces.
kades

Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Master Chef

Now you're talking!!!! Yummy, love the sound of this recipe :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Now you're talking!!!! Yummy, love the sound of this recipe :)
I just love pumppernicklel bread in any way shape or form It's so tasty. But finding it is hard and I need to be in the mood to drive around sooo rye usually wins out. I have the Pumppernicel with soup or in grilled cheese. Today I had some rye toasted with gorgonzola salad dressing on top.
yum yum yum
kades (ma)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I just love pumppernicklel bread in any way shape or form It's so tasty. But finding it is hard and I need to be in the mood to drive around sooo rye usually wins out. I have the Pumppernicel with soup or in grilled cheese. Today I had some rye toasted with gorgonzola salad dressing on top.
yum yum yum
kades (ma)
Pumpernickel is the best!!!!! I battle to find it lately too
Rye is great but not as good. I like pumpernickel cheesaz. Mix mayo and german mustard and spread bread, top with chopped ham or bacon bits, chopped chives, chopped sundried tomato and sprinkle with a mixture of grated mozza and cheddar. Grill till golden and serve with green salad
For a sweet treat I top with either chunky cottage cheese and youngberry jam or mature camembert and ripe fig preserve.
You're making me hungry

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Pumpernickel is the best!!!!! I battle to find it lately too
Rye is great but not as good. I like pumpernickel cheesaz. Mix mayo and german mustard and spread bread, top with chopped ham or bacon bits, chopped chives, chopped sundried tomato and sprinkle with a mixture of grated mozza and cheddar. Grill till golden and serve with green salad
For a sweet treat I top with either chunky cottage cheese and youngberry jam or mature camembert and ripe fig preserve.
You're making me hungry
I just found this and so glad I did, Found a loaf of the pumpernickel in that small size we need for an appy some is in freezer the rest will be for me and me alone Love your idea for a sweet treat. Camabert and fig YUMMERS
kades
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I just found this and so glad I did, Found a loaf of the pumpernickel in that small size we need for an appy some is in freezer the rest will be for me and me alone Love your idea for a sweet treat. Camabert and fig YUMMERS
kades
Hope you like it The cheezas are my favourite, love savoury foods most!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

fried rye or pumpernickel bread is one of my favorite snacks. fried in butter and lightly sprinkled with sea salt, or topped with chilled duck or bacon grease. i remember in my childhood bedroom, the radiator was used, winter and summer, to dry slices of pumpernickel and rye bread. the bread would go straight from the bag, right to the radiator top for a quick staling/drying process. if you've never done this, you must know that stale pumpernickel bread and stale rye bread tastes completely different and far superior to, the breads when they are fresh. the fresh bread we used for sandwiches only--if there was any left.... :)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
fried rye or pumpernickel bread is one of my favorite snacks. fried in butter and lightly sprinkled with sea salt, or topped with chilled duck or bacon grease. i remember in my childhood bedroom, the radiator was used, winter and summer, to dry slices of pumpernickel and rye bread. the bread would go straight from the bag, right to the radiator top for a quick staling/drying process. if you've never done this, you must know that stale pumpernickel bread and stale rye bread tastes completely different and far superior to, the breads when they are fresh. the fresh bread we used for sandwiches only--if there was any left.... :)
I never had that pleasure, but I will now. Thanks Vit.
kades
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

As much as I dislike bread, I find that a Reuben sandwich made with Pumpernickel is a great way to dine. There is a small restaurant near where I live and my sister and I used to go there all the time for their Rueben sandwiches on Pumpernickel.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As much as I dislike bread, I find that a Reuben sandwich made with Pumpernickel is a great way to dine. There is a small restaurant near where I live and my sister and I used to go there all the time for their Rueben sandwiches on Pumpernickel.
I think many people like Rubens I know I do. But I like them open faced please hand me a knife and fork
kades

Tags
None