Pumpernickel Toast TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This is so good and it also works well with Rye bread. It goes well as an appetizer as well with soups and salads. Take and freeze one whole loaf of unsliced pumpernickel or rye bread My choice would be pumpernickel While frozen slice paper thin with sharp knife or meat slicer.Arrange in a single layer on ungreased cookie sheet. In a saucepan melt 1/4 lb of butter over low heat add 2 cloves crushed garlic and 1/2 cup fresh grated parm blend well. With pastry brush spread 1 side of bread with butter mixture. Bake in 325 oven til crisp about 15 min the edges will curl slightly. Cool and store in container til ready to serve. enjoy.Will make 30-40 pieces.
kades

Now you're talking!!!! Yummy, love the sound of this recipe :)
I just love pumppernicklel bread in any way shape or form;) It's so tasty. But finding it is hard and I need to be in the mood to drive around sooo rye usually wins out. I have the Pumppernicel with soup or in grilled cheese. Today I had some rye toasted with gorgonzola salad dressing on top.:yum:
yum yum yum
kades (ma)

I just love pumppernicklel bread in any way shape or form;) It's so tasty. But finding it is hard and I need to be in the mood to drive around sooo rye usually wins out. I have the Pumppernicel with soup or in grilled cheese. Today I had some rye toasted with gorgonzola salad dressing on top.:yum:
yum yum yum
kades (ma)

Pumpernickel is the best!!!!! I battle to find it lately too :(
Rye is great but not as good. I like pumpernickel cheesaz. Mix mayo and german mustard and spread bread, top with chopped ham or bacon bits, chopped chives, chopped sundried tomato and sprinkle with a mixture of grated mozza and cheddar. Grill till golden and serve with green salad :yum:
For a sweet treat I top with either chunky cottage cheese and youngberry jam or mature camembert and ripe fig preserve.
You're making me hungry :LOL:

Pumpernickel is the best!!!!! I battle to find it lately too :(
Rye is great but not as good. I like pumpernickel cheesaz. Mix mayo and german mustard and spread bread, top with chopped ham or bacon bits, chopped chives, chopped sundried tomato and sprinkle with a mixture of grated mozza and cheddar. Grill till golden and serve with green salad :yum:
For a sweet treat I top with either chunky cottage cheese and youngberry jam or mature camembert and ripe fig preserve.
You're making me hungry :LOL:
I just found this and so glad I did, Found a loaf of the pumpernickel in that small size we need for an appy some is in freezer the rest will be for me and me alone :LOL: Love your idea for a sweet treat. Camabert and fig YUMMERS
kades

Last edited:
I just found this and so glad I did, Found a loaf of the pumpernickel in that small size we need for an appy some is in freezer the rest will be for me and me alone :LOL: Love your idea for a sweet treat. Camabert and fig YUMMERS
kades

Hope you like it :) The cheezas are my favourite, love savoury foods most!

Last edited by a moderator:
fried rye or pumpernickel bread is one of my favorite snacks. fried in butter and lightly sprinkled with sea salt, or topped with chilled duck or bacon grease. i remember in my childhood bedroom, the radiator was used, winter and summer, to dry slices of pumpernickel and rye bread. the bread would go straight from the bag, right to the radiator top for a quick staling/drying process. if you've never done this, you must know that stale pumpernickel bread and stale rye bread tastes completely different and far superior to, the breads when they are fresh. the fresh bread we used for sandwiches only--if there was any left.... :)

fried rye or pumpernickel bread is one of my favorite snacks. fried in butter and lightly sprinkled with sea salt, or topped with chilled duck or bacon grease. i remember in my childhood bedroom, the radiator was used, winter and summer, to dry slices of pumpernickel and rye bread. the bread would go straight from the bag, right to the radiator top for a quick staling/drying process. if you've never done this, you must know that stale pumpernickel bread and stale rye bread tastes completely different and far superior to, the breads when they are fresh. the fresh bread we used for sandwiches only--if there was any left.... :)
I never had that pleasure, but I will now. Thanks Vit.
kades

As much as I dislike bread, I find that a Reuben sandwich made with Pumpernickel is a great way to dine. There is a small restaurant near where I live and my sister and I used to go there all the time for their Rueben sandwiches on Pumpernickel. :angel:

As much as I dislike bread, I find that a Reuben sandwich made with Pumpernickel is a great way to dine. There is a small restaurant near where I live and my sister and I used to go there all the time for their Rueben sandwiches on Pumpernickel. :angel:
I think many people like Rubens I know I do. But I like them open faced please hand me a knife and fork:LOL:
kades

When I was a kid we used to get unsliced pumpernickel bread and a wedge of cheese. We would tear off a hunk of bread and a bit of cheese and munch away!

When I was a kid we used to get unsliced pumpernickel bread and a wedge of cheese. We would tear off a hunk of bread and a bit of cheese and munch away!
EMMMMMM only way to go there is nothing so good as a hunc of bread and a hunk of cheese.
Kades

Last edited:
i could eat my way through life needing nothing besides hunks and wedges...and the occasional pull on a bottle of domestic white....
I'll take a nice red and we can sit and chat OK?
kades

okay, then, the french quarter it is--the rue bourbon, at absolutely any hour....:)

kades, you bring the pumpernickel,i'll get the wines....

Last edited:
I think many people like Rubens I know I do. But I like them open faced please hand me a knife and fork:LOL:
kades

I like all my sandwiches open faced. I don't like squashed food :LOL:
I absolutely hated school lunch, started packing my own in the first grade. I would always butter my bread and put my toppings seperatly and assemble my lunch at school. Guess the OCD started earlier than I thought.
I did everything myself from the age of 6, my mom just never did it right :angel:

This is so good and it also works well with Rye bread. It goes well as an appetizer as well with soups and salads. Take and freeze one whole loaf of unsliced pumpernickel or rye bread My choice would be pumpernickel While frozen slice paper thin with sharp knife or meat slicer.Arrange in a single layer on ungreased cookie sheet. In a saucepan melt 1/4 lb of butter over low heat add 2 cloves crushed garlic and 1/2 cup fresh grated parm blend well. With pastry brush spread 1 side of bread with butter mixture. Bake in 325 oven til crisp about 15 min the edges will curl slightly. Cool and store in container til ready to serve. enjoy.Will make 30-40 pieces.
kades

Yum, thanks Kades :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom