"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I definately had a simmer going on the cheese for about 10 to 15 min. I just kept hoping it would thin out/melt. :)

So that said, Should I start with white American cheese and a tiny bit of roux and go from there?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I definately had a simmer going on the cheese for about 10 to 15 min. I just kept hoping it would thin out/melt. :)

So that said, Should I start with white American cheese and a tiny bit of roux and go from there?

Use your recipe in a double boiler with jack and asadero cheeses. Thin with a little milk or cream.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Master Chef

I always add milk to my cheese sauces, can't see how it can turn into a sauce without liquid. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I always add milk to my cheese sauces, can't see how it can turn into a sauce without liquid. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
+1

The OP mentioned pouring in milk but didn't say how much. Cheese sauce is made from bechamel, which is roux + milk.

Let's say you want about 2 cups of sauce. Heat 2 tbsp. butter, add 2 tbsp. flour and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking to incorporate. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to thicken and cook off the flour taste. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup grated/crumbled cheese.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1

The OP mentioned pouring in milk but didn't say how much. Cheese sauce is made from bechamel, which is roux + milk.

Let's say you want about 2 cups of sauce. Heat 2 tbsp. butter, add 2 tbsp. flour and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking to incorporate. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes to thicken and cook off the flour taste. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup grated/crumbled cheese.
That's exactly what I do, you need a reasonable amount of milk though. I usually make a bechemel and slowly whisk in finely grated cheese till the sauce is thick enough and nice and cheesy.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
That's exactly what I do, you need a reasonable amount of milk though. I usually make a bechemel and slowly whisk in finely grated cheese till the sauce is thick enough and nice and cheesy.
Right, I meant to specify 2 cups of milk for 2 tbsp. butter and flour. The thickness of the finished sauce depends on the ratio of roux to liquid.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Right, I meant to specify 2 cups of milk for 2 tbsp. butter and flour. The thickness of the finished sauce depends on the ratio of roux to liquid.
Not my recipe, so I didn't specify. Sorry. I use about 2 tsps of flour and butter to 2 cups of milk. The cheese also thickens the sauce so I don't add as much flour.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
This looks like way more butter/ flour roux than for the amount of cheese. I think I would use only 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup each next time. Also, I almost always add a little milk after the roux has cooked. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it helps when the cheese melts and blends. Also, Stir it on very low heat. Never boil.

I agree.

Always add cheese off the heat.

Tags
cheese, sauce