"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Senior Cook

oh wow, thanks for all of the great ideas, everybody! sierracook, i think i will try that tuscan dip, it looks great. i was also thinking some sort of bleu cheese dip, i know a place where i can get an excellent goatsmilk bleu. and then probably a non-creamy one like babaganooj or hummus.

how could i have forgotten cucumber! green onions will go on the plate, too. i love fresh beets but i might skip those... they might dye the rest of the plate pink!

Old 07-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Sierra, that Tuscan dip sounds great! I bet it's wonderful spread on little toasted baguette slices too!
jkath, it is so good. I just could eat the whole bowlful.

Happy Avocado, I like your idea of a bleu cheese dip. Nothing like a good bleu cheese. It is one of my favorite cheeses. Yum!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Try a few shallots - the things that look a bit like chives, only fatter! Green onions? Scallions?

Or julienned raw beetroot. Nicer than you'd think.
Green onions and scallions are the same thing - chives are actually flatter than those - shallots is a whole different ballgame - I don't think you want to eat those raw. I'll have to give beetroot a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Some times I like to do an autumny type of veg platter and use:

-carrots
-red and yellow (and/or orange) peppers
-turnips
-baby leeks (if you can find them)
-baby gem lettuces cut into quarters or sixths
-slices of fennel
-zucchini and/or cucumber

To go with these I often serve either an Italian banga cauda or an aioli (which is really nice with a spoonful or two of roasted red pepper pesto thrown in!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #15
Master Chef

i was thinking yellow squash (the kind that's like zucchini). that'd make a nice contrast in color if you put it next to the zucchini.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Senior Cook

thanks for the help everybody, the veggie platters turned out great! i ended up with carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, red and green pepper, zucchini and yellow squash, sugar snap peas, some excellent baby heirloom tomatos in yellow, red, orange and purple, jicama, mushrooms, lemon cucumber, and regular cucumber, garnished with mustard greens, kale and parsley. the tuscan dip was a huge hit, i used a sheepsmilk feta instead of creme cheese and i also made baba ganooj and an delicious onion dip....

i was going to make that old classic with the onionsoup mix but i havent ever made it before and when i read the ingredients on the onion soup package i just couldnt do it! corn syrup and MSG and all sorts of yucky things... so, i made up my own and it was wonderful. i roasted about 20 cloves of garlic in the oven and then mashed them up with two containers of sour cream, added dehydrated onion and chopped fresh green onion, chives, salt and pepper.... yum!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

I am glad that everything went so well. Your roasted garlic onion dip sounds fantastic.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Executive Chef

If you want to be creative with your veggies, you might check out the pictures on this link to get some ideas.

http://www.veggiebouquet.com/bouquet.html

Tags
None