"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-28-2005, 05:17 AM   #11
Head Chef

you are up at this hour luvs? ,i couldnt sleep and so decided to log into DC,hubby is on call ,and i was scared,m not used to being alone at night!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
Master Chef

yep, sarah, i'll be up till late in the morning, maybe even the afternoon. i don't really sleep.
but i'm sleeping today come **** or high water! i'm working on a 12-pack but it's not working yet.
sucks you have to be all alone! you have us!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Just noticed this post. Haven't tried this one yet, but sounds mighty good. BTW, Kadesma, your recipe (& all of the recipes here) look terrif. Kadesma, what are Zante currants?

Portobello Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 4 appetizer servings

4 medium portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces peeled, deveined, and cooked shrimp, chopped
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon
1 ounce Gouda or provolone cheese, shredded (optional)
Peeled, deveined, and cooked shrimp (optional)
Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Wipe mushrooms with a clean, damp cloth or rinse lightly and dry gently with paper towels. Cut mushroom stems flush with caps. Chop enough of the stems to make 1/2 cup; set aside.

2. In a large skillet, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems in hot butter for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. Stir in chopped shrimp, bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice, and tarragon.

3. Place portobello caps, stem sides up, in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Sprinkle mushrooms with cheese, if desired. Divide shrimp mixture among portobello caps. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. To serve, garnish with additional whole shrimp and parsley, if desired. Cut into quarters, if desired.
Mish, sorry not to have answered sooner, have been getting ready for my grandsons 1st. birthday party here last sat. Whoooooeee...65 people kids and adults to feed and intertain ..So I didn't even get a chance to come visit over the long weekend...
Sunmaid puts out raisins abd other dired fruit, and the also box up these teeny tiny currants that are really dark and sweet..They are labeled Zante Currants...Wish I knew more but I just love them and use them often, inplace of raisins... I love to put them into the stuffed mushrooms as well as into meat balls that go along with spaghetti...Just seem to give a nice kicked up taste to thing.
kadesma
Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Yum these recipes look scrumptious!! Can any of these be made ahead and then heated or is it best to make and bake? If they can be made ahead, how long should they reheat? Have never made mushroom appetizers and I want to try some of these out.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
Yum these recipes look scrumptious!! Can any of these be made ahead and then heated or is it best to make and bake? If they can be made ahead, how long should they reheat? Have never made mushroom appetizers and I want to try some of these out.
Icy, the day I made these one of the kids was late getting here and some of the left over mushrooms got cold..We popped them back in the oven threw a sheet of foil just over the top, not tucked in, and heat them through...They were just fine.. I don't think holding them for a day would hurt, but longer than that I'd probably not bother..And around here we hardly ever have anything to re-heat, my kids WOLF on everything
kadesma
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #16
Master Chef

icy, i buy crabmeat-stuffed mushrooms all othe time and they're refrigerated. they stay fine.

Tags
None