"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Roasted Garlic Butter/Spread - Yum!

Recently I've been playing around with some small "bites" to serve with our Sunday evening before dinner cocktails.

I have a wonderful little appliance called a Garlic Express, which can roast up to 3 large heads of garlic at a time...in about 20 minutes. Yeah! That's important to us because our house isn't air-conditioned, so turning the oven on during the warmer months to roast some garlic is not something I like to do.

At any rate, today I decided I wanted to make a garlic butter/spread to put on some homemade Melba toast I made out of one of the baguettes I made earlier in the week.

So, I took a very large head of garlic, cut off the top portion to expose the cloves a bit, put the head upside down in my garlic roaster. Then I drizzled about 2 tablespoons clarified butter and 2 tablespoons rich homemade chicken stock over the garlic. Finally, I placed two 3-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary around the garlic. I closed the cooker and let it do its thing.

The fragrance that came from the kitchen as it was cooking was awesome.

When the garlic finished roasting, I squeezed all the garlic into a bowl, scraped the "yummies" from the cooking dish because there was a nice bit of caramelized garlic/butter/rosemary left. Discarded the rosemary sprigs.

I mixed in about 1/2 cup or so of softened butter and a little salt and stirred with a rubber scraper until everything was all combined. I tasted it and...yum! Can't wait for tomorrow's cocktail time.

I'm sure this could be done in the oven, but I haven't roasted garlic in the oven for so long I don't remember how. Love my little garlic-shaped electric roaster.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who might want to try this. Enjoy!!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sounds yummy! I am sure I could duplicate it using cupcake pans, one whole garlic clove to each cupcake mold. Would still need the temps and time, but that would be a start, and I have plenty of fresh garlic at home waiting!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Sounds yummy! I am sure I could duplicate it using cupcake pans, one whole garlic clove to each cupcake mold. Would still need the temps and time, but that would be a start, and I have plenty of fresh garlic at home waiting!
You will need to be sure to seal the muffin pan tightly with foil so the garlic doesn't dry out. Part of the roasting process is a little like steaming the heads.

And, it's "heads" of garlic rather than cloves.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sorry, heads. I was thinking the cupcake, er, muffin tins, would be easier to seal with the foil
Old 02-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

My mouth is hanging open!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds fantastic!!!! What a GREAT "little bite" you will have with your cocktails! Closing mouth now as I started drooling!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Great idea, especially if you want to make a lot of roasted garlic at one time. I would imagine the butter/spread would freeze nicely as long as it's sealed carefully and tightly.

I can envision adding it to mashed potatoes, in soups, etc. It would be great to have a lot on hand for creative moments.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
You can just wrap everything up in some foil too - but my eyes are open for this appliance you've got Katie!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Master Chef

What the?? Did they just 'merge' three of our mods to make a single 'frankenmod'??
LOL
Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
oops - I forgot to log back in as "me" - sorry

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Team View Post
You can just wrap everything up in some foil too - but my eyes are open for this appliance you've got Katie!
I've had my wonderful little garlic R2-D2 for quite a few years now. I think I got it online from Target. I thought it might be one of those single-taskers that Alton Brown doesn't like but, because of the heat "issues" we have in our house, it's never been put away. I use it all the time. I love that all I have to do is put the garlic in, turn it on and let it do it's thing. It automatically turns off when done so I don't have to babysit it.

I made a great roasted garlic soup some time ago and it couldn't have been easier and "cooler" making the garlic portion with my cooker.

Tags
None