"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 02-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Roasted Garlic Stuffed Meatballs rec.

Arghg, I think my kids must think I'll curl up and blow away if Im not at the stove Youngest daughter, has taken on super bowl at her house..guess who, is making most of the goodies? me!!! Daughter just called and asked ever so sweetly, mom, could you please make some of thos little stuffed meatballs?? Sure honey, good ol mom replied...
Sooo, I'm now roasting heads of garlic, that will have to be peeled and carefully so they come out whole to be stuffed into the meatball mix..
So, here is what I mix for the meats
30 whole med sized cloves garlic, roasted
6-7 cloves garlic minced
3-shallots minced
evoo
3-sprigs fresh thyme
1-c. fresh bread crumbs
3/4-lb. ground pork
3/4-lb. lean ground beef
1/2-lb. freshly grated dry jack cheese or parmesan
salt and pepper

roast garlic,but separate the cloves before oiling them. roast, remove from oven and let cool,then peel each clove and set aside.
Saute minced garlic and shallots in a little evoo 2-3 min, don't brown. Chop the thyme then combine thyme,garlic,shallots,bread crumbs, pork,beef, cheese salt and pepper. Put 1 tab. of this mixture in your hand and form a ball, with your thumb make an indentation and insert a clove of the roasted garlic,then pinch the meat together to close over garlic. continue til all meat balls are made. Then saute the meatballs over med. heat in a little evoo til brown turn and brown all sides. We serve these with creme fraiche..
They are also good if you save the oil from roasting your garlic and toss it with angel hair pasta and the meatballs.Now I'm taking the phone OFF the hook and hiding...
enjoy,
kadesma

Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Cook

those are some serious meatballs, woman! very tasty looking! copied and pasted for my collection!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
oh my!
Your family is so lucky to have you!
I'm 100% sure that I would love these!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Jenny and Pds..They are a bit of work, but, yes they are good. Right now my house still smells of al the garlic I roasted today..saturday I'll put the meatball mix together and get them shaped and fried then reheat on sunday for the game...Wish you both could come have some with us..

kadesma
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I wish I could be there too!
Though Paul and I are looking forward to watching the game and acting silly together.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

Kadesma, sounds great.

One question please.

A goodly number of years ago made baked chicken with many cloves of garlic ala Frugal Gourmet. My cookbooks are all packed away since we are redoing a part of the house so I don't have the recipe available.

As I recall it used a chicken and several heads, yep, heads, of garlic, and other ingredients.

Seems to us the Frug said the roasting would kill the odor.

Made it on a Sunday and we reeked of garlic until Wednesday.

As I have to work with the public, can I get away with making this on Superbowl Sunday, eat some, and hope to have no garlic fragrance on Monday?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

Kadesma, when I roast garlic, I peel of the extraneous outer stuff, slice about 1/2 inch or so of the tops, just exposing the open tips of the garlic buds. I put it in a piece of foil, pour a little olive oil over the top, close foil, and bake in oven or on grill.
After the head is roasted, all you have to do is squeeze, and the little roasted bulbs will pop right out of their "shells". Sure will save you a lot of time and energy.

The meatballs look to "die for!"
Old 02-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Kadesma, sounds great.

One question please.

A goodly number of years ago made baked chicken with many cloves of garlic ala Frugal Gourmet. My cookbooks are all packed away since we are redoing a part of the house so I don't have the recipe available.

As I recall it used a chicken and several heads, yep, heads, of garlic, and other ingredients.

Seems to us the Frug said the roasting would kill the odor.

Made it on a Sunday and we reeked of garlic until Wednesday.

As I have to work with the public, can I get away with making this on Superbowl Sunday, eat some, and hope to have no garlic fragrance on Monday?
Aunt dot, I guess if we swallowed em whole it might work But I'd suppose, if we only ate a few, we might be able to get away with it..I do know my best friends mom use to chew parsley leaves and stems after she had garlic, but, I wouldn't bet my last nickle on it working..Wish I could help more, I'd love to get your thoughts on the meatballs.

kadesma
Old 02-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

Parsley is good for your breath.

Congrats to you, as a person who works with the public, for considering your breath! Very thoughtful.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Utterly fantstic sounding Kadesma, you have such brillant, tasty recipes! Thank-you these meatballs are being copied and pasted at once!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None