Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Craig used to make a salsa when we first met using canned tomatoes and canned chiles, with chopped onion, and I don't remember what else. Asked him about it last night and he couldn't remember what else went into it either, but said he thought the recipe was in our oldest shared cookbook we put together. Don't think it had cilantro in it. It was always a hit when we took it to parties. Going to have to dig out that old notebook and see if it is in there.

I like cilantro and use it all the time. Some of the people at Amoretti would complain that cilantro tasted like soap, so I started using epazote instead. Fortunately my neighborhood is about 75% Mexican and Pilipino, so I have access to a quite a few bodegas and mercados that have produce, herbs and spices not normally found in the average supermarket. No more complaints about the food tasting like soap. What does epazote taste like? Well, have you ever had to syphon fuel out of a car?

I worked at a Mexican in my early twenties, the place is still around today and was around long before I started there. I want to say it's been around for about 40 years at least. Anyway, they're popular and authentic.

They never used cilantro. I asked what was in the salsa then if not cilantro? Mexican oregano is what I was told. Years later I was in a Mexican market and there it was, Mexican oregano, just labeled oregano. It definitely has a different taste than traditional oregano, it's all I use.

Cilantro can have a soapy taste to it and it just comes down basically to what type of taste buds you have. Ones that make it taste soapy or not. At least thats what i learned on a cooking show.

Mexicans often use epazote in place of cilantro. Xni Pec (pronounced schnee peck in the Nahuatl language of the Aztecs, means Dog's nose salsa) salsa does not use cilantro, but most folks would think it too spicy as it requires up to 8 habanero chilis per batch. We like the taste of cilantro so it gets put into our pico de gallo. Most salsa made from dried chilis don't get cilantro as well.

I worked at a Mexican in my early twenties, the place is still around today and was around long before I started there. I want to say it's been around for about 40 years at least. Anyway, they're popular and authentic.

They never used cilantro. I asked what was in the salsa then if not cilantro? Mexican oregano is what I was told. Years later I was in a Mexican market and there it was, Mexican oregano, just labeled oregano. It definitely has a different taste than traditional oregano, it's all I use.

Cilantro can have a soapy taste to it and it just comes down basically to what type of taste buds you have. Ones that make it taste soapy or not. At least thats what i learned on a cooking show.

I personally really like cilantro in much of my Mexican cooking, and always add it to my salsa. Mexican oregano makes all the difference in Mexican dishes and I've been using it exclusively also since I discovered it. It tastes nothing like Mediterranean oregano that I use in some dishes that aren't Mexican.
Interesting reading here..https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-mediterra-93923

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom