Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Salsa

2 (28 oz.) cans whole , peeled tomatoes with liquid (you may use fresh tomatoes in season - chop small, off season use canned as they taste better than hothouse tomatoes)
2 green peppers - chopped small
Jalapenos - chopped small - to taste - optional
1 large red onion - diced small
1 bunch green onions - chopped (green and white part included)
Fresh parsley - chopped fine - to taste
Hot sauce - to taste (if needed if you don't use jalapenos)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Drain tomato liquid into bowl (if using canned). Chop tomatoes small and add to bowl. Add other ingredients to bowl. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.

img_827537_0_60d22ebb44c0116efb87c9cb434e30f4.jpg

Good recipe, but I would definitely substitute cilantro for the parsley...gotta have fresh cilantro in salsa. And I always add a clove of crushed garlic and some lime juice. Having said that, it is always a matter of individual taste, so if this tastes fine to you, then go with it!

Agree with MexicoKaren, to me a salsa needs cilantro, lime juice, garlic and I also add a pinch or two of freshy roasted and ground cumin. It just gives a depth of flavor that cannot be explained.

sorry you don't like the recipe but my family thinks cilantro taste bad so i don't add it. i put the lime in guacamole not salsa.

Cilantro seems to be one of those things that you either love or hate. I just happen to love it! And I also have to use lime juice in my salsa. Another thing that I like to add is any stone fruit in season. It adds a subtle sweetness and freshness to the salsa.

Looks good! My husband HATES cilantro, I love it, so I usually just mix it with my lettuce when I want it on a taco. Sometimes I'll add a can of diced green chilies, it also helps add a depth of flavor.

Looks good! My husband HATES cilantro, I love it, so I usually just mix it with my lettuce when I want it on a taco. Sometimes I'll add a can of diced green chilies, it also helps add a depth of flavor.

I tend to agree with your husband. The taste of Cilantro reminds me of... well... a not very nice odor. Just as the smell of boiling cabbage turns many people off, Cilantro has the same effect for me. But then again, I like kimchi and raw oysters, so go figure!

I tend to agree with your husband. The taste of Cilantro reminds me of... well... a not very nice odor. Just as the smell of boiling cabbage turns many people off, Cilantro has the same effect for me. But then again, I like kimchi and raw oysters, so go figure!
cilantro smells and tastes like tar to me and my family can't stand it either.

That's the joy of Salsa.... TO each their own!

I am currently in a simplistic salsa stage:

Can whole tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
handful cilantro chopped
black pepper
salt
red pepper flakes
parsley
dash of cumin

Eventually I will be back in my complex salsa, then there will be 3 types of peppers, everything will be roasted, etc etc etc...
Love salsa!

27696-albums1090-picture7033.gif

Replacing pictures Photobucket are holding for ransom!

Salsa

2 (28 oz.) cans whole , peeled tomatoes with liquid (you may use fresh tomatoes in season - chop small, off season use canned as they taste better than hothouse tomatoes)
2 green peppers - chopped small
Jalapenos - chopped small - to taste - optional
1 large red onion - diced small
1 bunch green onions - chopped (green and white part included)
Fresh parsley - chopped fine - to taste
Hot sauce - to taste (if needed if you don't use jalapenos)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Drain tomato liquid into bowl (if using canned). Chop tomatoes small and add to bowl. Add other ingredients to bowl. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.

27696-albums1087-picture7059.jpg

sorry you don't like the recipe but my family thinks cilantro taste bad so i don't add it. i put the lime in guacamole not salsa.

For years I hated cilantro...it left a tinny taste on my tongue. Then I ordered a dish that had cilantro in it (I didn't know), and I loved it. I spoke with chef and he explained to me that there is a fine line with cilantro...it must be chopped very fine and to be careful not to use too much. I've heeded his advice ever since and I now love cilantro.

It is very rare that I taste a salsa recipe the I don't like. There are so many ways to make it. I imagine I would like yours, too, msmoffet. The ones I don't like are generally ones where the cook is trying to impress people with how scorching hot they can make it.

I don't think I've ever made the exact same salsa twice, either. I really shoot-from-the-hip with salsas.

On a side note, I don't care for cilantro either, but I put a little in my salsa once, and it was quite good. Now I use it in every batch. To me, cilantro is like comino/cumin, a little bit goes a long way. I use both, but in small amounts.

CD

Thanks Ms M for the update/ and reviving an old thread.

I think I like salsa fresca(s) the best, made with vine ripe tomatoes as the base. . What I make varies and gets a taste test until we either get it just right, or need to make another bowl, whichever comes first.

2-3 medium jalapenos /serrano's, mostly seeded
about 4 medium tomatoes
1/2 medium size chopped onion
1 good size handful chopped cilantro /usually less, sprinkle more on indiv servings for those who like it
salt pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 limes, juiced
I don't think we put cumin in, have to try that.
--
Most important: A bowl of guacamole to accompany, and use good quality/ favorite chips.

Thanks Ms M for the update/ and reviving an old thread.

I think I like salsa fresca(s) the best, made with vine ripe tomatoes as the base. . What I make varies and gets a taste test until we either get it just right, or need to make another bowl, whichever comes first.

2-3 medium jalapenos /serrano's, mostly seeded
about 4 medium tomatoes
1/2 medium size chopped onion
1 good size handful chopped cilantro /usually less, sprinkle more on indiv servings for those who like it
salt pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 limes, juiced
I don't think we put cumin in, have to try that.
--
Most important: A bowl of guacamole to accompany, and use good quality/ favorite chips.

Sounds wonderful. I would call that pico de gallo.

It is very rare that I taste a salsa recipe the I don't like. There are so many ways to make it. I imagine I would like yours, too, msmoffet. The ones I don't like are generally ones where the cook is trying to impress people with how scorching hot they can make it.

I don't think I've ever made the exact same salsa twice, either. I really shoot-from-the-hip with salsas.

CD

+1, on all counts.

I love cilantro, though. Could eat it in handfuls.

One of the first recipes that I ever posted here was a salsa with mango for sweetness, and fresh radishes for a peppery bite.

Thanks, mofet.

Last edited:
I like making salsa and guacamole then mix some together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom