"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
Master Chef

I like Chi-Chi's brand salsa. There is something fresh about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chi-Chis-Salsa.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	23058  

Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #22
Head Chef

My store bought favorite is Pace Picante Sauce "Hot".

The Medium is Meh and the Mild is worthless.

It's a staple in my pantry.

Goes really well with those cheap frozen burritos for a quick inexpensive fuel stop.

Mrs. Renfro's makes a few nice habanero salsas I've tried and like.

They have a large line of different salsas so they may be worth looking into.

Renfro Foods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254 - Copy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	23059  
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We found a fresh salsa (dairy section, by us) brand that we like a lot. Made by Sabra, it called "Santa Barbara Medium Salsa". It's not made anywhere near CA, though, but in White Plains, NY.

Tastes so much fresher than any jarred salsa,m
Santa Barbra salsa is great and one I included on my list of the best non bottled salsa.
I'm sorry people, I don't salsa anything in jars and set it out as a dip with corn chips.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Santa Barbra salsa is great and one I included on my list of the best non bottled salsa...
Ah, I see that, but I know the product as "Sabra". I figured the Santa Barbara on mine was the product name, and that yours was the brand name. Whatever we know it by, it's good!

Like salsa, I know I could make hummus at home. However, my grocery usually has them on sale. I'd rather use the time to make the items that aren't as readily available at the market around by me. Balela is one of them...and I haven't made it for a while. Looks like it's time to mix a batch of it.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Ah, I see that, but I know the product as "Sabra". I figured the Santa Barbara on mine was the product name, and that yours was the brand name. Whatever we know it by, it's good!

Like salsa, I know I could make hummus at home. However, my grocery usually has them on sale. I'd rather use the time to make the items that aren't as readily available at the market around by me. Balela is one of them...and I haven't made it for a while. Looks like it's time to mix a batch of it.
I'm going to have to try that balela salad. I think you mentioned it before. I had already saved it as a PDF. I'll bet it gets better as it sits and marinates in that dressing.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Guilty. I have no jarred / store bought salsa sauces in the house. I recently bought a bottle of ketchup (for a recipe I was testing). I haven't had ketchup in the house for years. I use tomato paste instead of ketchup (and yes, it is homemade tomato paste).
Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm going to have to try that balela salad. I think you mentioned it before. I had already saved it as a PDF. I'll bet it gets better as it sits and marinates in that dressing.
That's gone on my "to do" list for the month of July with lamb kabobs on the grill...I'm tasting it already.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Not the bottled Herdez salsa, but the plastic container of Herdez salsa.

I thought it exceptional.
They put the same product in all the different types of containers, and I still think the product they put in the cans, jars and plastic containers tastes as bland as the containers themselves. When I bite into a salsa, I want it to bite back!

Try the recipes I posted. I guarantee they will make your hair sweat!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

The only thing I have ever used salsa on is scrambled eggs. I used to like it medium. I never had a favorite jarred brand or even fresh salsa. Now my stomach will only accept mild. And I still don't care what the brand is. It has been years since I bought any salsa of any kind. Now Pirate has requested I put it on the grocery list. So I need to go back to post #1 and read the thread completely to see what I am doing. What I do know is that it will have to be mild. For the both of us.

Thanks in advance for all the information.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I've never liked Herdez. It always tastes kind of flat. If I am going to use jarred sauce I will buy La Victoria or Pace.

Now, for queso dip, you can't go wrong with a jar of cheese whiz and a can or Ro-Tel seasoned diced tomatoes.
Many moons ago I bought a can of Ro-Tel just to have on the shelf. I had nothing in mind for them. Pirate just mentioned to me that instead of using them for a salsa, he uses it for a sauce with a large can or two of whole baby clams and olive oil, heat it up and use for a pasta sauce. He tells me that they are not too hot and my stomach should be able to handle the heat. If I can tolerate it that way, I just may start to make my own salsa minus the cilantro. The one time I tasted a food with cilantro in it, I felt like I had bitten off a big bite of soap. So it looks like a new adventure for me.

Tags
recipe, dip, salsa

Share your favorite store bought salsa dip you like? Of course we should all learn to make our own salsa dip, and many here probably do. I recently came across a store bought salsa brand called Herdez. Sold at Walmart and who knows where else. It has a unique combination of tomatoes, lime, salt, garlic and cilantro that is very Mexican tasting. Almost exotic ancient Aztec tasting. It's supposedly the #1 brand salsa south of the border. It's really unique tasting, but is a bit wet, so I drain out a lot of the excess water from it. The Herdez salsa brand I bought was listed as Mild/Medium hotness and had just enough peppers to leave a mild heat afterburn. Other big name store bought salsa brands I've tried are... (not in jars, but in plastic containers ,near the deli section) include Rojo brand, Santa Barbara brand is excellent...I suppose there are dozens? :ermm: If you come across Herdez brand salsa, please try it. it's a very unique tasting salsa dip. It's my #1 from now on. P.S. Herdez also sells pork rinds. They call them chicharonnes. They are better than "Baken-Et" pork rinds which are a leading brand seller of pork rinds in the US. However, a lot of Baken-Et brand pork rinds are big and fluffy and it's like biting into foam rubber. Herdez brands keep their pork skin rinds smaller and crunchier. I like that. I don't like the super small "chicharonnes" tho, that some makers market, they almost taste "wet" when you bite into each one of them. That feels weird to my mouth. 3 stars 1 reviews