"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #31
Master Chef

Addie....if what you're looking for is a mild, very inexpensive salsa for your scrambled eggs, get yourself a can of Herdez. It comes in small cans. Just be sure to check the heat level, they have several different kinds. They probably have one without cilantro. Better yet, making your own is good - a couple of Romas, an onion and a jalapeno doesn't cost much at all and you can control what you put in there.

If your son wants something different, let him buy it.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
They put the same product in all the different types of containers, and I still think the product they put in the cans, jars and plastic containers tastes as bland as the containers themselves. When I bite into a salsa, I want it to bite back!

Try the recipes I posted. I guarantee they will make your hair sweat!
Not everyone likes sweaty hair. At any rate, I hope you have also put these recipes where they belong SLoB, as has always been requested by the management.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie....if what you're looking for is a mild, very inexpensive salsa for your scrambled eggs, get yourself a can of Herdez. It comes in small cans. Just be sure to check the heat level, they have several different kinds. They probably have one without cilantro. Better yet, making your own is good - a couple of Romas, an onion and a jalapeno doesn't cost much at all and you can control what you put in there.

Sounds like a winner. I will be doing my monthly shopping tomorrow. Please take pity on me. I am going shopping the day before the fourth. I must be out of my mind.

Next question. If I do make my own, how long can I keep it in my fridge before it turns into a bowl of green mold?

I have never been interested in Mexican food as such. Not even when I lived in Texas. So this is a whole new area for me in the food department. I was pregnant when I lived in Texas, and foods with heat just didn't agree with an expectant mother. My husband loved it so I kept a bottle of hot sauce in the house for him. That is as far as I was willing to go. And my kids only wanted the foods they were familiar with.

I worked in a Mexican café/bar. The customers were mostly from Mexico and they thought I was a cute American. I did learn to love some of Mama Lupe's foods. And I have to admit, they were really good. She was from Mexico also. She always kept a big basket of crackers on the table with very large salt shakers. Those customers sure loved their salt. They were always shaking it on the back of their hands and licking it off. I don't know why to this day. So I am off on to a new adventure in Mexican cooking.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #34
Master Chef

Addie, if you decide to make your own, cut your fresh jalapeno in half, and remove the seed and veins before chopping it up. All the offensive heat is in the seeds and veins. Wear plastic gloves as eye rubs even hours later without using them are memorable. Better yet, make the Pirate do it.

PS...it will keep well for a week or more.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Don't forget the lime juice!

Quote:
Definitely.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm going to have to try that balela salad. I think you mentioned it before. I had already saved it as a PDF. I'll bet it gets better as it sits and marinates in that dressing.
Don't let it marinate too long. The tomatoes get all weepy, no matter how well you drain them. Then the entire thing turns to mush. Unless I figure we'll eat it in a hurry, I make only half a recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That's gone on my "to do" list for the month of July with lamb kabobs on the grill...I'm tasting it already.
I bet it would be perfect with lamb. However, I haven't yet mastered a taste for lamb. I make this with the intention of serving it with something pork-y, then we devour it before we end up making pork!

Perhaps I should rethink that "half-a-recipe" approach...
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Don't let it marinate too long. The tomatoes get all weepy, no matter how well you drain them. Then the entire thing turns to mush. Unless I figure we'll eat it in a hurry, I make only half a recipe.
Thanks for the heads up. Well then, I'll marinate it for a while, minus the tomatoes, and throw them in right before serving.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I went coupon shopping as I usually do just before shopping. I saw a coupon for Herdez. So I am going to buy the smallest product that the coupon will allow. I will look on the back and read the ingredients. I always do with a new product. If I can't find one without cilantro, then I will look for one with it further down on the list of ingredients.

My son is great when shopping for meats. He forgets about shopping the "whole meal" concept. If he had his way, all we would ever eat is just meat. And maybe a veggie or two.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
They put the same product in all the different types of containers, and I still think the product they put in the cans, jars and plastic containers tastes as bland as the containers themselves. When I bite into a salsa, I want it to bite back!

Try the recipes I posted. I guarantee they will make your hair sweat!
Noted. However, the salsa brands kept in the refrigerated area of the supermarket in plastic containers has to be fresher then the bottled stuff of the same brand that can sit on the shelf for years, I would think. Maybe not.
The Herdez Mild/Medium has a mild kick to it that's not too hot, not too mild.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The one time I tasted a food with cilantro in it, I felt like I had bitten off a big bite of soap.
I have had a few people ask me not to garnish their food with cilantro because it tastes like soap, so in the Amoretti Test Kitchen I also keep a supply of epazote for garnishing. Epazote doesn't taste like soap, it tastes like turpentine!

Tags
recipe, dip, salsa

Share your favorite store bought salsa dip you like? Of course we should all learn to make our own salsa dip, and many here probably do. I recently came across a store bought salsa brand called Herdez. Sold at Walmart and who knows where else. It has a unique combination of tomatoes, lime, salt, garlic and cilantro that is very Mexican tasting. Almost exotic ancient Aztec tasting. It's supposedly the #1 brand salsa south of the border. It's really unique tasting, but is a bit wet, so I drain out a lot of the excess water from it. The Herdez salsa brand I bought was listed as Mild/Medium hotness and had just enough peppers to leave a mild heat afterburn. Other big name store bought salsa brands I've tried are... (not in jars, but in plastic containers ,near the deli section) include Rojo brand, Santa Barbara brand is excellent...I suppose there are dozens? :ermm: If you come across Herdez brand salsa, please try it. it's a very unique tasting salsa dip. It's my #1 from now on. P.S. Herdez also sells pork rinds. They call them chicharonnes. They are better than "Baken-Et" pork rinds which are a leading brand seller of pork rinds in the US. However, a lot of Baken-Et brand pork rinds are big and fluffy and it's like biting into foam rubber. Herdez brands keep their pork skin rinds smaller and crunchier. I like that. I don't like the super small "chicharonnes" tho, that some makers market, they almost taste "wet" when you bite into each one of them. That feels weird to my mouth. 3 stars 1 reviews