Share your favorite store bought salsa dip you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't take much overdoing the cilantro to get the dish soapy tasting. I like how a small amount of cilantro adds an exotic flavor to some Mexican dishes. Too much cilantro can overpower a dish very quickly. Some Mexican dishes overdo the cilantro added in.

Last edited:
I have had a few people ask me not to garnish their food with cilantro because it tastes like soap, so in the Amoretti Test Kitchen I also keep a supply of epazote for garnishing. Epazote doesn't taste like soap, it tastes like turpentine!
You have mentioned using epazote before, to punish people for a genetic difference from you. That sounds downright mean. Are you proud of this?

"Epazote has largely been viewed as medicinal herb rather than a culinary plant. In general, its leaves used in the cooking to counter indigestion and flatulence effects of beans, high-fiber and protein food. Nonetheless, the herb has its own intrinsic phyto-nutrients which when consumed optimally would contribute towards overall wellness".

I wonder if that's what they put in Beano and other gas reducing products.

You have mentioned using epazote before, to punish people for a genetic difference from you. That sounds downright mean. Are you proud of this?

I thought you knew that my goal in life is to piss everyone off at least once each year. How am I doing so far?

I get the Herdez in a can sometimes (though I usually just make my own). It's the only pre-made stuff I'll buy.

I bought the jar of Medium Herdez Salsa and a small bag of rice chips with sea salt. Pirate tried it with the chips and loved the salsa. He even loved the chips. I wasn't to fond on the chips myself. But I had a coupon and the cents off made it cheap, so I thought I would try it. They needed more of the sea salt.

Pirate said that I could never eat the salsa. Way to hot for my stomach. They didn't have a mild jar. But I will keep my eyes open for one, and when I see it on the shelf, I will buy it so I can try it also. Like I said, I like I on my scrambled eggs or an omelet.

I used to eat hot foods all the time. We would buy Italian sausages that were loaded with streaks of red pepper flakes. I would bake them and then we would sit on a Sunday night eating them while watching Mission Impossible on a Sunday night. I would add a small jar of hot cherry peppers, juice and all to the pan and they would bake right along with the sausages. Then I had the gastro surgery and that ended the good eating for me. I am lucky that I can do the mild. :angel:

But Addie, in last night's dinner thread you said you used a can of Rotel tomatoes, it's no hotter than the medium Herdez salsa. I think the Pirate may have wanted it all for himself. :LOL:

But Addie, in last night's dinner thread you said you used a can of Rotel tomatoes, it's no hotter than the medium Herdez salsa. I think the Pirate may have wanted it all for himself. :LOL:

And I only had one mouthful of that. I ended up spitting it out. I know what my half stomach can tolerate and anything past mild is not for my stomach. I ended up having an egg sandwich with a glass of milk followed by a swig of Mylanta for dessert. He had the Ro-tel and finished the leftovers today. :angel:

Mild heat salsa is almost too tame for my liking. I like the way Herdez labels and spices their salsa as Mild/Medium. A mild after kick of hotness that stays in my mouth for just seconds, so as to desire to go for more. ;)

Last edited:
Mild heat salsa is almost too tame for my liking. I like the way Herdez labels and spices their salsa as Mild/Medium. A mild after kick of hotness that stays in my mouth for just seconds, so as to desire to go for more. ;)

And so does Pirate. He just had another snack of rice chips with the salsa. I ended up taking the jar away from him. He ran out of the chips and started to eat the salsa out of the jar. Yeah, I would say it is a hit with him. I have my instructions for the next shopping trip. One jar for the chips and one jar to eat with a spoon. He can make his own trip to the grocery store for his salsa. :angel:

I always heard "If you don't like cilantro, try it again".
I actually took that to heart, when I overpowered a dish once with cilantro. I thought I hated it, until I realized that I was eating it in salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I now have a new love for it raw. Only raw. Not cooked in anything.

I don't buy it to use at home as i would waste most of it. But it sure is good in the salsa at the restaurant. And the salsa is very hot. Very, very hot and very good. Garlicky too!

I actually took that to heart, when I overpowered a dish once with cilantro. I thought I hated it, until I realized that I was eating it in salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I now have a new love for it raw. Only raw. Not cooked in anything.

I don't buy it to use at home as i would waste most of it. But it sure is good in the salsa at the restaurant. And the salsa is very hot. Very, very hot and very good. Garlicky too!

You know it it is used in Asian food as well. I'm going to make a noodle salad tomorrow that uses it, along with peanut butter, sesame oil etc.:yum:

That's true with a lot of herbs and spices. For decades I thought I hated cumin. After tasting my MIL's horrible pot of beans and politely asking about the "secrets" she told me she used lots of cumin. It took me 20 years to even consider using it in a recipe. I use it often now in my cooking but I still shiver with the memory of that horrible pot of beans from my MIL.

I agree, cilantro should never be cooked and I like fresh cilantro so much, I use it daily even in dinner salads.

Last edited:
That's funny that you guys think cilantro shouldn't be cooked. I detest raw cilantro, but I don't mind it at all cooked, in Indian food.

That's really interesting Taxi. Perhaps one of my objections to Indian Food is the inclusion of cooked cilantro. Hmmm...
Hmm, then maybe we can find you some Indian food that you would like. I have made this recipe, but before I figured out that I didn't dislike cooked cilantro, so I left it out. I also left out the red food colouring and used two random chillies instead of trying to find arabol chillies. it was delicious. I grilled it. I will try making it with the cilantro next time. ;)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/tandoori-chicken-5037.html#post14493

Hmm, then maybe we can find you some Indian food that you would like. I have made this recipe, but before I figured out that I didn't dislike cooked cilantro, so I left it out. I also left out the red food colouring and used two random chillies instead of trying to find arabol chillies. it was delicious. I grilled it. I will try making it with the cilantro next time. ;)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/tandoori-chicken-5037.html#post14493

Thanks for pointing out that recipe Taxi, and it sounds like something I'd like.
As you notice though, the cilantro is raw in the marinade so I'd like it very much.

Thanks for pointing out that recipe Taxi, and it sounds like something I'd like.
As you notice though, the cilantro is raw in the marinade so I'd like it very much.
Then you probably wouldn't want to cook the marinade and serve it over the chicken. I've never seen that done in an Indian resto anyways.

Back
Top Bottom