"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Mild heat salsa is almost too tame for my liking. I like the way Herdez labels and spices their salsa as Mild/Medium. A mild after kick of hotness that stays in my mouth for just seconds, so as to desire to go for more.
And so does Pirate. He just had another snack of rice chips with the salsa. I ended up taking the jar away from him. He ran out of the chips and started to eat the salsa out of the jar. Yeah, I would say it is a hit with him. I have my instructions for the next shopping trip. One jar for the chips and one jar to eat with a spoon. He can make his own trip to the grocery store for his salsa.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #52
Executive Chef

I always heard "If you don't like cilantro, try it again".
I actually took that to heart, when I overpowered a dish once with cilantro. I thought I hated it, until I realized that I was eating it in salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I now have a new love for it raw. Only raw. Not cooked in anything.

I don't buy it to use at home as i would waste most of it. But it sure is good in the salsa at the restaurant. And the salsa is very hot. Very, very hot and very good. Garlicky too!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I actually took that to heart, when I overpowered a dish once with cilantro. I thought I hated it, until I realized that I was eating it in salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I now have a new love for it raw. Only raw. Not cooked in anything.

I don't buy it to use at home as i would waste most of it. But it sure is good in the salsa at the restaurant. And the salsa is very hot. Very, very hot and very good. Garlicky too!
You know it it is used in Asian food as well. I'm going to make a noodle salad tomorrow that uses it, along with peanut butter, sesame oil etc.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

That's true with a lot of herbs and spices. For decades I thought I hated cumin. After tasting my MIL's horrible pot of beans and politely asking about the "secrets" she told me she used lots of cumin. It took me 20 years to even consider using it in a recipe. I use it often now in my cooking but I still shiver with the memory of that horrible pot of beans from my MIL.

I agree, cilantro should never be cooked and I like fresh cilantro so much, I use it daily even in dinner salads.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's funny that you guys think cilantro shouldn't be cooked. I detest raw cilantro, but I don't mind it at all cooked, in Indian food.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's funny that you guys think cilantro shouldn't be cooked. I detest raw cilantro, but I don't mind it at all cooked, in Indian food.
That's really interesting Taxi. Perhaps one of my objections to Indian Food is the inclusion of cooked cilantro. Hmmm...

Old 07-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Me too.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's really interesting Taxi. Perhaps one of my objections to Indian Food is the inclusion of cooked cilantro. Hmmm...
Hmm, then maybe we can find you some Indian food that you would like. I have made this recipe, but before I figured out that I didn't dislike cooked cilantro, so I left it out. I also left out the red food colouring and used two random chillies instead of trying to find arabol chillies. it was delicious. I grilled it. I will try making it with the cilantro next time.
Tandoori Chicken
Old 07-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Hmm, then maybe we can find you some Indian food that you would like. I have made this recipe, but before I figured out that I didn't dislike cooked cilantro, so I left it out. I also left out the red food colouring and used two random chillies instead of trying to find arabol chillies. it was delicious. I grilled it. I will try making it with the cilantro next time.
Tandoori Chicken
Thanks for pointing out that recipe Taxi, and it sounds like something I'd like.
As you notice though, the cilantro is raw in the marinade so I'd like it very much.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for pointing out that recipe Taxi, and it sounds like something I'd like.
As you notice though, the cilantro is raw in the marinade so I'd like it very much.
Then you probably wouldn't want to cook the marinade and serve it over the chicken. I've never seen that done in an Indian resto anyways.

Tags
recipe, dip, salsa

Share your favorite store bought salsa dip you like? Of course we should all learn to make our own salsa dip, and many here probably do. I recently came across a store bought salsa brand called Herdez. Sold at Walmart and who knows where else. It has a unique combination of tomatoes, lime, salt, garlic and cilantro that is very Mexican tasting. Almost exotic ancient Aztec tasting. It's supposedly the #1 brand salsa south of the border. It's really unique tasting, but is a bit wet, so I drain out a lot of the excess water from it. The Herdez salsa brand I bought was listed as Mild/Medium hotness and had just enough peppers to leave a mild heat afterburn. Other big name store bought salsa brands I've tried are... (not in jars, but in plastic containers ,near the deli section) include Rojo brand, Santa Barbara brand is excellent...I suppose there are dozens? :ermm: If you come across Herdez brand salsa, please try it. it's a very unique tasting salsa dip. It's my #1 from now on. P.S. Herdez also sells pork rinds. They call them chicharonnes. They are better than "Baken-Et" pork rinds which are a leading brand seller of pork rinds in the US. However, a lot of Baken-Et brand pork rinds are big and fluffy and it's like biting into foam rubber. Herdez brands keep their pork skin rinds smaller and crunchier. I like that. I don't like the super small "chicharonnes" tho, that some makers market, they almost taste "wet" when you bite into each one of them. That feels weird to my mouth. 3 stars 1 reviews