"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 06-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

Don't feel badly in the LEAST. There are at least a gazillion variations of that recipe that have been going around for years. I truly doubt for one instant that Paula Deen was the originator of it, regardless of what she says - she's just more in the public eye. In fact, one can probably say that about nearly all of the recipes that appear on TV. Very very few of these people personally "invented" these recipes.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Velochic:
Here's my version of the English muffin crab thingies:
English Crab Wedges
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 can crab meat
1 package English muffins
Blend ingredients and spread on English muffins. Cut each into fourths.
Freeze. Bake/broil in toaster oven until slightly brown on top.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

Oh, & just to add to the fun, here's "my" recipe for "Crab & Artichoke Crostini", which I tinkered with & developed after enjoying it several times a year at one of the local bistros around here.

Crab & Artichoke Crostini.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light lunch or supper along with a green salad.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I like this one. Thanks, BC.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Master Chef

You're welcome. It's been the most popular dinner appetizer & luncheon entree item on the menu at a local bistro for 12 YEARS, & I nearly always order it. Depending on who's "cheffing" that day, sometimes I've gotten it fairly mild; other times with QUITE a bit more cayenne, so it's up to you how hot you want to make it.

I started tinkering with making it at home a couple of years ago, & the above is as identical as I think one could come to the restaurant version.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
You're welcome. It's been the most popular dinner appetizer & luncheon entree item on the menu at a local bistro for 12 YEARS, & I nearly always order it. Depending on who's "cheffing" that day, sometimes I've gotten it fairly mild; other times with QUITE a bit more cayenne, so it's up to you how hot you want to make it.

I started tinkering with making it at home a couple of years ago, & the above is as identical as I think one could come to the restaurant version.
Thanks B.C. It DOES look good!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #17
Executive Chef

[quote=Constance]Here's my recipe...still there in summer parties. Check it out!

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeSource=MealIdeas&recipeID= 25827&rc=396&page=4&index=3&Lastindex=false[/quote]

Perhaps you should enter your recipes in contests before putting them on sites like that. But now that I think about it, many contests say you can't be a working chef.

The recipe sure sounds great (and easy). I'll put that on my list for the Labor Day Party. I think I'll name it Half Baked Best Baked Beans.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked

The recipe sure sounds great (and easy). I'll put that on my list for the Labor Day Party. I think I'll name it Half Baked Best Baked Beans.

About 10 years ago, I was at a social gathering at my husband's boss' home. His wife had hollowed out a round sourdough loaf and cut the bread into cubes. Rather than having the typical warm spinach/artichoke dip, it was a wonderful taste I'd never had. Turns out it was the olde english and crabmeat. (!)
Weird part is I never ate any seafood item I liked, so I figured it was the olde english.....either that, or all the gin & tonics

Funny how we all got these recipes in the early-mid 90's.

Tags
None