Shrimp Canape Appy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
QFT

I would say a lettuce cup/purse for me, as I agree about endive being bitter...and would make soy taste way more salty/bitter. Or, shy away from the leaf type base and use a lavash crustini, or petite naan round type of thing to play with the yogurt.

Also, I would take the tails off the shrimp so that they are a no muss no fuss item, 1 bite item.

Ha ha. That was actually part of the design. I cooked 6 shrimp with tails and 6 without. I didn't just plop a shrimpy on there without some thought as to 1)presentation and 2)practicality. Yes, tails left on are a little annoying in most cases. But I found it was kind of fun to pick up the endive in one hand, then grab the srimp with my other hand and eat them alternately. :chef:

Edit: The endive almost doubled as an edible dip cup, if you will.

However, I'm really trying to use the endive as the "star". To be honest, I could care less about the shrimp. Any ideas for the endive?

Going with the yogurt, I think a tsaziki or raita with cubed and grilled lamb would work, or you could even use chicken. I would recommend making the marinade for the protein fairly spicy with something like red chili flakes or curry, and seasoning it well with salt before cooking.

Either way, IMO aggressive and well seasoned flavors should work with the endive as long as those flavors are complimentary.

We had to come up with a canape on the fly once, so we shredded some duck confit and placed it in the root end of a Belgian Endive leaf, and dressed it with a little bit of blood orange gastrique and and orange supreme. Basically the same presentation, though shredded confit is certainly not as pretty as the shrimp. The sweet/bitter combo from gastrique and endive leaf was nice though, and the sweet also played very well with the salt and richness from the duck.

Back
Top Bottom