Shrimp Canape Appy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Shrimp Canapes

Shrimp - Peeled/devained small shrimp, sauteed in oil, soy sauce, black pepper and a dash of Tabasco. You can pretty much flavor them how you want, just make sure they have some 'pop'.

Sauce - Equal parts yogurt and sour cream, fresh minced tarragon (again, use any herb you like), little salt and pepper. Combine in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Misc Items - Endive, minced chive, diced avocado, capers.

To plate - Place a teaspoon of the sauce toward the root end of the endive leaf, place a pice of avocado then 2-3 capers. Carefully place one of the shrimp on top. A tiny dab of Tabasco on each one wouldn't hurt either. Garnish with minced chive.

The shrimp and the yogurt/sour cream combination provide a blank canvas for whatever flavors you like.

Bon Appetite :chef:

(I found a use for those chive blossoms);)

img_604287_0_d2d2be497e986029cc2acc70cbea7cf5.jpg

img_604287_1_5f6902d0f2e9dcdd390a019108f6dd19.jpg

Wow, this looks fantastic..Your presentation is simple and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
kadesma:)

Thanks for the compliments. I made another batch without the shrimp. I used minced spicy basil and capers in the yogurt/cream mixture. A dolop on each endive leaf, topped with avocado, black pepper and a dash of Tabasco. I need some other flavors to balance out the bitter bite from the endive. Any ideas?

We enjoy the endive with a small dollop of crab and chopped apple mixed with just enough mayo to hold it together,or you could try some gorgonzola,sour cream and toasted almonds.Mix some blue cheese,sour cream and some diced pear ..Hope this helps.
kadesma:).

...I need some other flavors to balance out the bitter bite from the endive. Any ideas?

Looks yummy, Jeeks.

How about going Asian - filling the leaves with slices of roast duck in hoison & topping with a scallion/green onion brush.

Use a filling similar to P.F. Chang's Lettuce wraps - minced chicken (or pork?), ginger, shiitakes, water chestnuts, etc. (There are a few copy cat recipes on the web.)

Smoked salmon, cream cheese & dill or
Smoked Salmon Stuffed Belgian Endive Boats

Blue cheese, prosciutto, walnuts, and basil. Drizzle with balsamic.

Egg salad w a dab of caviar.

Combine Pico de gallo with guacamole or diced avacado & a few squirts of lemon or lime juice.

Ceviche.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. I made another batch without the shrimp. I used minced spicy basil and capers in the yogurt/cream mixture. A dolop on each endive leaf, topped with avocado, black pepper and a dash of Tabasco. I need some other flavors to balance out the bitter bite from the endive. Any ideas?

I would probably stay away from the endive and use a small lettuce like Little Gem or baby Butter (Bibb) Lettuce. Bitter endive is strong, you can't really balance it without changing the other flavors of the dish, so the best thing to do is to eliminate the endive and replace it with another component that would compliment the other flavors better.

Amy, great ideas! I actually have some smokes salmon in the fridge. I'm going to try that this weekend but without the cream cheese.

IC, there's always a way! I just have to figure it out.;)

IC usually is spot on.

Jeekinz - GREAT presentation and as far as the chive blossoms I pop them off and add them to salads. I also use them in small flower arrangements - I will cut some pansies, basil, rosemary, snapdragons, chive blossoms, etc., and make little arrangements. Well, at least when I had sunlight at our other house - all I have now is moss - it's hard to put moss in a vase :(

Amy, great ideas! I actually have some smokes salmon in the fridge. I'm going to try that this weekend but without the cream cheese.

I'm leaning toward the smoked salmon as well. You could try a horseradish sauce with lemon juice & dijon. Or, fill the leaves with salmon mousse. (Wish I had IC's foam machine - salmon foam over endive leaves.) Perhaps incorporate wasabi into the salmon filling. Thought about filling the leaves with caponata & toasted pine nuts - but might be too bitter. Another idea - sticky rice and diced mangos. Lotsa ways to go.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward the smoked salmon as well. You could try a horseradish sauce with lemon juice & dijon.

Hmmmm...maybe since I'm the only one buying endive from my store they can get some fresh ones in? :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

I'll be all endive'd out if you keep giving me stuff to put on them - LOL. xD

Those are lovely jeeks I like the bitterness of endive myself.... the shrimp on the end makes a great composition.... nice photos too.... you could totally be the last chef on the island whith that:-p

Thanks.

I think a cleaner tasting shrimp would go better. I think the soy flavor was a tad heavy. It was kind of early in the day, so I couldn't get real creative. If you catch my drift. :cool:

Anyway, the shrimpless ones with the Tabasco were nice. I liked the flavor of the tabasco but not the leftover heat from it in your mouth.

Can't wait to try out some other ideas. :chef:

Thanks.

I think a cleaner tasting shrimp would go better. I think the soy flavor was a tad heavy. It was kind of early in the day, so I couldn't get real creative. If you catch my drift. :cool:

Anyway, the shrimpless ones with the Tabasco were nice. I liked the flavor of the tabasco but not the leftover heat from it in your mouth.

Can't wait to try out some other ideas. :chef:

Asian flavors and endive don't usually pair well together, so you could stick with the soy but then use something like Bibb lettuce (I seem to remember in another thread that you have some in your garden?) as the canvas. With endive, I would stick to primarily Mediterranean flavors since they have enough acid to balance out the bitterness. So basically, try adding more acid. Adding more sweetness will actually not balance the bitterness in the endive, it will make it more unpleasant.

Asian flavors and endive don't usually pair well together, so you could stick with the soy but then use something like Bibb lettuce (I seem to remember in another thread that you have some in your garden?) as the canvas. With endive, I would stick to primarily Mediterranean flavors since they have enough acid to balance out the bitterness. So basically, try adding more acid. Adding more sweetness will actually not balance the bitterness in the endive, it will make it more unpleasant.

QFT

I would say a lettuce cup/purse for me, as I agree about endive being bitter...and would make soy taste way more salty/bitter. Or, shy away from the leaf type base and use a lavash crustini, or petite naan round type of thing to play with the yogurt.

Also, I would take the tails off the shrimp so that they are a no muss no fuss item, 1 bite item.

Yup...I have a Ton 'O Bibb growing. :ermm:

However, I'm really trying to use the endive as the "star". To be honest, I could care less about the shrimp. Any ideas for the endive? I'm going to play around with those Asian flavors on the Bibb.

Back
Top Bottom