"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Head Chef

Of course GG, that's why I quoted you. Semantics.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Of course GG, that's why I quoted you. Semantics.
What semantics? I made a simple statement. I didn't claim that procedure removed all the heat. It's not complicated.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the jalapenos would carry the spicy... I was wrong, spicy seemed to have been cooked out of them.
Jalepaņos are fickle. I grow them, and they can be scorching hot, or barely hotter than a bell pepper. My home grown japs tend to be weaker in the Spring, and HOT in the Fall.

Leaving the membrane in will help with the heat. The seeds don't matter.

CD
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

I grew one little plant last year. Obviously I didn't put it in the right place. I got one (1) pepper! I don't even remember now if it was hot or not. LOL but I did eat it!

Seriously caseyd, seeing as you seem to have some hands on experience...

1. is there any way to tell whether or not the pepper in your right hand is going to be hotter than the pepper in your left hand? (without taking a bite)

I thought I had read somewhere that the shinier the skin - the hotter? Of course, they all look shiny to me, from Poblano, Jalapeno, Banana, Scotch to Thai and on up.

2. does a pepper lose heat after it is cooked?

3. if #2 is a yes answer, are the popular 'poppers', which are generally made with cheese and often bacon, only cooked to melt the cheese and crisp up the bacon... but not cooking the pepper too much thereby not losing the heat of the jalapeno?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Shrimp Stuffed Jalapenos question

Living in the Great White North, our japs are a crapshoot. Much of the time they're not much hotter than a bell pepper. I think it depends on the weather.

I grew Thai hots for a few years. Not only are they ornamental, they're hotter than blazes. We have a friend who grows peppers, some of them would blow the top of your head off. She gives us some every year, often cross-pollinated, so none of us know what the heck they are.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find that jalapeņos vary so much that when I make ABTs (fairly frequently), that I have to taste a bit of the end that I'm going to discard. Sometimes I can chew it with hardly any heat. Other times a tiny lick has me going oh! oh! oh! Depending on heat, I adjust how much seeds and membranes I remove. I read that it is really only the membranes that are hot. I just had to experiment and I found a fair bit of heat in each of a few seeds. YMMV
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you happen to buy the jalapeņos at a West Island supermarket? I have found those usually have no heat whatsoever. I always get mine from Mourelatos or one of the Asian stores.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hmmm, Mouralatos, forgot all about them. It's been years since I've been there. I had thought that Adonis had pretty much wiped them out. I know a lot of people love Adonis' but I'm not a big fan.

don't remember where I got them, probably in Alexandra. I know it wasn't Sheng Tai. I have to start making a trek in there more often. Went this Mon. after dropping friends off at the airport.

Taxy, what are ABT's?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hmmm, Mouralatos, forgot all about them. It's been years since I've been there. I had thought that Adonis had pretty much wiped them out. I know a lot of people love Adonis' but I'm not a big fan.

don't remember where I got them, probably in Alexandra. I know it wasn't Sheng Tai. I have to start making a trek in there more often. Went this Mon. after dropping friends off at the airport.

Taxy, what are ABT's?
Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeņos stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar, and a little smokey (but I use organic hot dog pieces since I can't find the little smokeys here.) all wrapped in bacon and grilled or baked.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeņos stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar, and a little smokey (but I use organic hot dog pieces since I can't find the little smokeys here.) all wrapped in bacon and grilled or baked.
There are probably as many variations of ABTs as there are "Q" pit masters! The wood used also varies the flavor.

Tags
jalapenos, other, shrimp