"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Shrimp Stuffed Jalapenos question

I've now made these twice, Shrimp stuffed into hollow jalapenos, dipped in a beer batter and fried.

I've been subbing Rice flour for a friend who is sensitive to gluten, but although that is not my main question, this last time I didn't get the portions right and it ended up being too runny and hardly sticking to the jalapeno. I was reducing the mix to the bare minimum as |I was only making a couple (4 to be exact).

Can anyone give me suggestions to be more economical in the blend and quantity? Liquid to flour/baking soda?

My big question is - Could there be a limit to the size of the jalapeno that if it is too big it will lose heat due to the length of time needed to cook?

These were probably under 3" in length, well portioned - meaning in overall shape. I stuffed them with 4 shrimp, tails sticking out. Divided 2 extra shrimp to push into all four of them as I felt they were a little "loose" at the tops.

I wanted to be sure the shrimp inside were cooked. Maybe I should stick with little tiny peppers and shrimp so they cook faster? There was no "bite" at all in them. The shrimp were perfectly cooked as were the peppers.

Or I could dip the shrimp first in a Sambal Oelek sauce? Or leave the membrane and seeds in?

I've made some oven baked (cheese stuffed bacon wrapped style) and think that the pepper retained its "bite" OK. What happened?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Head Chef

After struggling with the membrane and trying not to tear the opening - I grabbed the lobster gizmo for pulling out the seeds and membrane. (giving myself little pats on the back)

Those are 4" tiles on the counter, to give you a comparison for size.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Just shrimp stuffed into the pepper?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yeah, I thought the jalapenos would carry the spicy... I was wrong, spicy seemed to have been cooked out of them.
They were very juicy from the pepper - but not enough flavour other than the shrimp.

Perhaps next time I will dip the shrimp into a spicy peanut sauce or some such. Had the batter been slightly thicker it would have soaked a bit of the juice up and also soaked up more of the Malt Vinegar we dipped them in.

Everyone loved them but still ... would like to fix this.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Yeah, I thought the jalapenos would carry the spicy... I was wrong, spicy seemed to have been cooked out of them.
They were very juicy from the pepper - but not enough flavour other than the shrimp.

Perhaps next time I will dip the shrimp into a spicy peanut sauce or some such. Had the batter been slightly thicker it would have soaked a bit of the juice up and also soaked up more of the Malt Vinegar we dipped them in.

Everyone loved them but still ... would like to fix this.
Hmmm, what about stuffing them with a shrimp and matchstick pieces of pepper jack cheese?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Most of the heat in hot peppers is in the seeds and membranes, although heat can vary a lot depending on how much water and sun the peppers received during the growing season.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Head Chef

GG that is very true... most of the heat, but not all. Unfortunately it is a crap shoot as to which ones have the heat, I know that. Even jarred chili pastes can vary from season to season in their intensity.

I have eaten cleaned jalapeno that have made me say "whoosh" and the Thai bird peppers that I use, I diligently scrape out the membranes and seeds... those little suckers are still plenty hot for me! I'm not into the high end of the scale in hot, I still like to taste my food.

Actually this has given me an idea... how about I sliver sliver sliver tiny strands of the Thai Bird Chili's and stuff one strand in too!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks Kayelle, that is a good option. I was trying to stay away from cheese though. But I really like the idea, as with most poppers halved, the cheese goes everywhere, here they would be contained. hmmmm....
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
GG that is very true... most of the heat, but not all.
That's what I said
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

How about cooking the shrimp, then chopping it up and mixing it with seasoning and some cheese and stuffing the peppers. That way you don't have to worry about cooking the filling through, just get the pepper cooked to your liking. Of course, you could also wrap them in bacon. . .

Tags
jalapenos, other, shrimp