"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Simple Veggie Dip (or salad dressing)

I needed to make a dip and became increasing frustrated with all the recipes on different websites that simply say to use a seasoning mix pack. Seriously, what's the point of writing a recipe?!

So I threw this together yesterday with no recipe, and really liked the way it tasted after a day in the fridge. It came out very tangy without being overpowering. But it's still a 1st generation recipe, so I wanted to share it right away to see what kind of changes other people would make to it.

1 Cup Mayonnaise (I had the Kraft w/ Olive Oil variety)
1 Cup cultured sour cream
5 Cloves fresh garlic (pressed)
1/4 Cup grated parmesan
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 Tsp sea salt

Mix it all together and chill overnight.

And it could probably easily be turned into a salad dressing by substituting milk or buttermilk for some of the mayo/sour cream.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Oh dang... I forgot:

Juice from 1/2 lime

Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds really good. I will probably try it with Greek Yougurt instead of the mayo and sour cream.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looks a bit like my Garlic Dressing of Doom

You might want to switch out the white vinegar for cider vinegar or a nice wine vinegar.

Tags
mayonnaise, parmesan, recipe, salad, sour cream

Simple Veggie Dip (or salad dressing) I needed to make a dip and became increasing frustrated with all the recipes on different websites that simply say to use a seasoning mix pack. Seriously, what's the point of writing a recipe?! :rolleyes: So I threw this together yesterday with no recipe, and really liked the way it tasted after a day in the fridge. It came out very tangy without being overpowering. But it's still a 1st generation recipe, so I wanted to share it right away to see what kind of changes other people would make to it. 1 Cup Mayonnaise (I had the Kraft w/ Olive Oil variety) 1 Cup cultured sour cream 5 Cloves fresh garlic (pressed) 1/4 Cup grated parmesan 2 Tbsp white vinegar 1 Tsp Oregano 1/2 Tsp fresh ground pepper 1/2 Tsp sea salt Mix it all together and chill overnight. :chef: And it could probably easily be turned into a salad dressing by substituting milk or buttermilk for some of the mayo/sour cream. 3 stars 1 reviews