Spicy Cheddar Pennies w/Pecans - TNT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Wanted to share this with everyone - it's my latest experiment!

SPICY CHEDDAR PENNIES W/PECANS

Makes about 20 dz.

1 stick unsalted butter

1 pound very sharp cheddar, shredded, at room temp.

1 ½ cups AP flour

½ cup rice flour

½ tsp salt

½ tsp cayenne (more or less, to your liking)

½ cup very finely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 325; line baking sheets with parchment.

In food processor, cream butter til smooth; add cheese, process til all mixed together. Add flours, salt, cayenne, and pulse til it forms a ball.

Remove from processor, work in pecans with your hands. Divide dough in 4ths; divide each 4th into 2 strips, and roll out under hands to make a ‘rope’ about the diameter of a penny. Repeat with all; place on a flat sheet and chill 30 minutes.

Cut each rope into slices about 1/8 inch thick, place on baking sheet (you can place pretty close together, as they don’t spread); then take your thumb and flatten them a bit.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, til light brown on top. (If you taste one and it’s a little chewy in the middle, put the sheet back in the oven another few minutes; you want ‘em crisp!)

Marmalady,

my mouth is telling me to get going these look fantastic. Thanks
kadesma:)

'AP' flour is just regular, 'all purpose' flour.

The diameter of a penny is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Sorry, I fort we had friends in other parts of the world!

Variation on the above, tried yesterday and they're great!

Sub out swiss for the cheddar, and almonds for the pecans. Yum-O!

Constance said:
I haven't seen rice flour in our supermarket...is there something I could substitute for it, such as cornstarch?

Connie, I bet you could just grind up some regular ole rice in your food processor or blender and get a reasonable facsimile of rice flour. I think cornstarch would make the pennies get too puffy.

Thank you big! I'd lost my recipe for these and I love them and my family loves them and everyone who's ever tasted them loves them! Gonna make them this week!

Big Hugs!

Try looking in a health food store for rice flour - they should have it there; it keeps forever sealed up in a ziplock.

I wouldn't try the food processor thing to make your own; I don't think you'd get a fine enough grind.

If all else fails, you can sub out cornstarch for the rice flour.

Enjoy!

Note for the holidays - this dough freezes extremely well, so you can make up batches, roll them, and put 'em in the freezer for quick appies when you need them!

Marmalady, would the cornstarch make much difference in taste? I haven't looked for it in my market so don't know whether it is there or not, but will look today.

I found the rice flour today - Now I'll have to make something with the other 2 pounds. I suppose I will check out alternative uses.

You can use rice flour in lots of things; use a little bit in your shortbread recipes to make a really tender, crispy shortbread - search for some of Ishbel's recipes.

You can use it as a light coating for frying foods; sometimes I just 'dust' chicken breasts or fish fillets; makes a light, crispy coating that browns beautifully.

Use some in tempura batter for the same reasons.

Am making these for Thanksgiving 'munching bowls', and thought I'd bump this back up to share with all the 'newbies'! It's a fantastic recipe, and very easy on time - you could make them up now and just stick them in the freezer until you're ready to bake them off. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom