"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Spinach Balls

Spinach Balls

2 - 10 oz. pkg. frozen *chopped spinach, thawed
1 pkg. Stove-Top stuffing, prepared according to pkg.
1 c. Provolone or Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp nutmeg
6 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. melted butter

Mix all ingredients together. Form into walnut-sized balls.

Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400F for 10-15 min. or until firm. The spinach balls may be frozen either before or after baking.

Can be served as an appetizer, or flattened out like spinach pancakes as a side dish. Serve with a Greek Yogurt sauce if desired.

*Broccoli can be substituted in place of spinach.
Crumbled cooked bacon can be added to the mixture if desired.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
This is the third best recipe you've posted today.

I really need to have a party so I can make some of the things you've been adding Mish.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've been searching thru my collection and thought - why didn't I remember these TNT recipes I enjoy. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

This sounds great Mish. I think I will give this one to my niece for the B-day/New years eve party!!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Super yummy sounding! It combines some of my favourite ingredients (Stove Top stuffing is its own food group, right? ) - definately one for the keep pile! Many thanks Mish!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

I have the same recipe, Mish, and goodness knows how many spinach balls I've rolled in the last 20 years. They are always a big hit, and even people who don't like spinach like these.
I've also seen a recipe very similar to this for Sausage Balls. (check the Jimmy Dean web site) I've never made them, but I'll bet they'd be a good to have along with the spinach ones. It would make a pretty tray!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #7
Head Chef

just curious - I love spinach with feta cheese, Have your ever tried them using feta cheese instaed of the provlone or parm. cheese. I just wonder how they would come out.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook
just curious - I love spinach with feta cheese, Have your ever tried them using feta cheese instaed of the provlone or parm. cheese. I just wonder how they would come out.
That's an interesting question letscook, I'm not sure how theywould turn out...My only hesitation on trying that combo is that feta is not always the best "binder" cheese. Parm and provolone tend to hold things together better (mozza would work for here to, probably). You could try halving the amount of parm and using some feta. Or indroduce something else into the recipe to help the spinach balls stay together

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook
I love feta, as well. Since there's enough eggs to "bind" it together, I would give it a try. There are flavored feta's out there, & I think it would be a tasty experiment. If it doesn't hold together easily, I would let the mixture sit longer in the fridge. Thank you for the idea.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have the same recipe, Mish, and goodness knows how many spinach balls I've rolled in the last 20 years. They are always a big hit, and even people who don't like spinach like these.
I've also seen a recipe very similar to this for Sausage Balls. (check the Jimmy Dean web site) I've never made them, but I'll bet they'd be a good to have along with the spinach ones. It would make a pretty tray!
Think this recipe has been around for some time, and read the same re non-spinach lovers, enjoy them. I like your idea with mixing it up with some sausage balls for an interesting party platter. Now that you have my creative culinary brain working - maybe some mini cheeseballs, crab balls (think I have a recipe) shrimp balls, etc. I might add my smoked salmon lollipops and stuffed shrooms. Thanks again, Constance for your great ideas.

Tags
None