"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

Spinach Pies

Spinach Pies

6 - 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed dry
4 - pkg. feta cheese - crumbled
2 - large onions - chopped fine
Grated Romano cheese - to taste
Grated parmesan cheese - to taste
Lemon juice - to taste
Hot sauce - to taste
Butter - for brushing
1 or 2 boxes of Phyllo leaves - thawed according to box

(Makes a large batch may be halved)

Thaw and squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Place 3 sticks of butter in a large skillet and add the onion. Just soften the onions no color. Add the feta cheese and about 1/4 lb. each of the Romano and parmesan cheeses to the pan and stir over medium heat to melt. Add enough lemon juice to give it a nice tang. Add hot sauce to taste. Slowly add the spinach to pan and combine thoroughly. Set aside to cool.

Cut Phyllo leaves to desired width or length (depending how big you want them. I cut them crosswise into quarters). Place leaves between damp towel to prevent drying out. Remove leaves as needed and recover unused stack.

Melt butter and use to brush on each Phyllo leaf (if you don't do this the leaves become very brittle and hard to work with) before placing the filling on. Roll them in any shape you would like. I do triangles or pillows, be sure to close edges or filling will ooze out while browning. Repeat for each Phyllo leaf. Brush tops with a small amount of butter.

Bake in a preheated 450˚ oven for about 3 - 4 minutes or until browned then turn over and repeat.

You may freeze. To heat frozen pies: place frozen pies on baking sheet and follow the same directions as above; except add a little extra time

Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

This looks wonderful..Great appy idea.
kadesma

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
This looks wonderful..Great appy idea.
kadesma
thank you. i conjured this recipe up when i was 17 yrs old (a long time ago ). people beg me to make these all the time. when i make these i can't make them quick enough if people are around!! LOL
Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
Mmm. Your recipe sounds great . A spanakopita I make is quite similar .
Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbysoup View Post
Mmm. Your recipe sounds great . A spanakopita I make is quite similar .
thank you. do you make them large for meals, small for an appy or both?

i eat these as a meal by themselves sometimes.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

thank you for information
Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Hi...I also call them spanokapita....it's a Greek hor's dueves(sp)...I make mine in triangles and bundles....they make a wonderful presentation and not too filling before dinner.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Hi...I also call them spanokapita....it's a Greek hor's dueves(sp)...I make mine in triangles and bundles....they make a wonderful presentation and not too filling before dinner.
hello. yes i have made them into "pillows" and triangles. i like the triangles better. they are a great veggie side dish or as a veggie meal. the typical spanokapita don't have the lemon in the filling. they are usually served with lemon wedges on the side. i had an Armenian boyfriend who's mom made her version with dough, they were tri-corns open in the middle of the top. and the filling had nutmeg in it. she served them with lemon wedges on the side also. neither version had lemon, Romano or Parmesan cheeses in the filling. so i combined the Greek version made with phyllo i had in a restaurant and her version and added the Italian grated cheese, lemon and hot sauce to the filling in my recipe.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Head Chef

I have had terrible luck trying to use phyllo. I think I would do them like my Lebanese friends do, and make them in bread dough.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I have had terrible luck trying to use phyllo. I think I would do them like my Lebanese friends do, and make them in bread dough.
the first time i made them i used dough.
the trick to phyllo leaves is: cut leaves then place stack between waxed paper then place leaves between damp towel and cover to prevent drying out. Remove leaves as needed and recover unused stack. also be sure to follow the prep directions on side of box - (thaw if frozen) and allow to come to room temp.

Tags
None