"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 06-15-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Strong Onion Taste

One of the appetizers I am making has chopped ham, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green peppers, chopped onions that you mix together and put in a rolled out biscuit that is then rolled in parmesan cheese and baked. When first made is very good, but my sister said that the onion became overpowering when she reheated it the next day.
My question is...would you replace with green onions or saute the onions a little? I am making this appetizer this morning, so any quick opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Either would work - use Vidalia if you can - maybe grate the onion, instead of chopping it, or cut down on the amount.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Cook

you may choose :one chop the onion in two part then put it in refrigeratory for about 5 minute ,then chop it. two put it in microwave oven for about 3 minute before you chop it .three you can put it in boiled water for about 2 minute before you chop it
Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I ended up using a little less than half the amount of onion called for and grated it.

I am so tired of this. :( Have been up since 3:00 a.m. and boiled 15 dozen eggs....by the way they look beautiful inside. :) I took someone's advice and cooked them in batches instead of trying to boil them all at once. TY whoever suggested that. Have chopped a bunch of bell pepper, mixed the filling for the appetizer with the filled biscuits, mixed another filling for a veggie pizza that I will make tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't goof because I chopped all the veggies yesterday because it was so time consuming. Do you know what a grater does to a bell pepper? Lets just say that I tossed the little bit of bell pepper in another recipe and then hand chopped all the bell pepper, broccoli, califlower and did use the hand grater for the carrots. Now the cream cheese/ranch dressing topping is mingling all those yummy flavors together and should taste really good. :)
I think I will be taking a nap soon before I start peeling all those eggs which I am planning on putting in plastic bags (running out of containers & space in the refrigerators) and putting back in frig until later when I will mix the egg filling together to sit in frig until tomorrow to stuff. Found some great pans that will allow me to fill the eggs before I take to the reception hall AND I can use another pan and fill it with ice to put under the eggs at reception hall.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Cook

you may choose :one chop the onion in two part then put it in refrigeratory for about 5 minute ,then chop it. two put it in microwave oven for about 3 minute before you chop it .three you can put it in boiled water for about 2 minute before you chop it
Old 06-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
You can also soak the onion in water before you mince/chop it. You can do that to help in a number of ways. It also helps some people that have a tendency of crying when the work with onions.
Mark
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Believe me, I do NOT need to chop onions to cry. THis mess has made me think about crying several times. :)
Old 06-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Ain't caterin' fuuuuun? Didn't you say this was your last 'event' of the season?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Executive Chef

It's a matter of 'taste.' I like the taste of onions (and garlic), so I put in what & how much I like. To be on the safe side, make up a test (small) batch first, and make adjustments later, as you wish.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

Consider shallots instead

Tags
None