Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
For lunch today, I prepared Lahanodolmades, which is simply stuffed cabbage rolls. These delicious rolls can be served as an appetizer, snack, side dish or finger food for parties. It can be served with or without the white sauce. Here is my version of the dish.

LAHANODOLMADES (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

Makes about 20

Ingredients:
1 large cabbage
150gm (5oz) peeled prawns & cut into smaller pieces
6 dried Shitake mushrooms (optional)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh dill or 1/2 tsp dried dill
3/4 cup rice, washed lightly
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Method:
1. Remove the hard stalk from cabbage leaves, wash and scald them in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Soak Shitake mushrooms in hot water until they become plumpish. Squeeze excess water and dice them.
3. In a large bowl, combine chopped onions, mushrooms, prawns, dill, rice, salt & pepper (to taste) and 2 tbsps olive oil and mix well.
4. Put a heaped tablespoon of mixture on each cabbage leaf, fold the sides and roll tightly. Repeat this until all the mixture is used up.
5. In a big pot, line the bottom with extra cabbage leaves (cooked or uncooked). Arrange the stuffed cabbage rolls on top in a circular pattern. Place a heavy plate on top of them to prevent them from opening during cooking.
6. Cover the cabbage rolls with water, sprinkle a little salt, pepper and olive oil.
7. Cook them for about an hour on medium heat. Check occasionally to ensure that there is still water in the pot. If insufficient, add a little more water. The rolls are ready when all the water has been absorbed.
8. Serve with or without white sauce.

To make sauce:
Heat 3 tbsps of olive oil in a saucepan, add 2 tbsps flour and stir well. Add 2 cups of broth (from scalding the cabbage leaves) and salt. Once it thickens, beat 1 egg with juice of 1 lemon and slowly pour it in bit by bit, stirring continuously over low heat for about 2 minutes. Use as desired.

This is a new idea for one of our favourite stuffed veggie dishes, thanks boufa! Sounds very yummy... We usually bake them in the oven. I may try steaming them in our pressure cooker.

urmaniac13 said:
This is a new idea for one of our favourite stuffed veggie dishes, thanks boufa! Sounds very yummy... We usually bake them in the oven. I may try steaming them in our pressure cooker.

I do believe you are referring to a baked dish that is similar to the Greek Yemista, ie, stuffed peppers and tomatoes or even zucchini with or without mince meat.

Shunka said:
Thank you for posting this!! Looks wonderful and is one I will definitely use!!

You are most welcome. It is indeed a wonderful dish and one that I think you should try soon judging from the empty pot left by DH.

Well, Boufa, your addition of prawns and mushrooms certainly makes them non-traditional, but I daresay they're good! Despite living here for years, this is one specialty I've left to my mother-in-law to make. One thing baffles me in your recipe (and in general, which keeps me from messing about with these!) which is how you handle the entire head of cabbage. I've seen a friend make these once and the hassle she underwent to release the leaves one by one (basically steaming the entire head and slowly peeling off full leaves) put me off. Do you not do that? In which case, how do you get the whole leaves off without ripping them? Your sauce sounds delish, but I'll also suggest just topping the hot dolmades with good, thick, full-fat Greek yogurt and some freshly-ground pepper. Scrummy!

I need to move to Greece and learn all these great dishes. MIL doesn't do any of them. THANK YOU for another great one!

Ayrton said:
Well, Boufa, your addition of prawns and mushrooms certainly makes them non-traditional, but I daresay they're good! Despite living here for years, this is one specialty I've left to my mother-in-law to make. One thing baffles me in your recipe (and in general, which keeps me from messing about with these!) which is how you handle the entire head of cabbage. I've seen a friend make these once and the hassle she underwent to release the leaves one by one (basically steaming the entire head and slowly peeling off full leaves) put me off. Do you not do that? In which case, how do you get the whole leaves off without ripping them? Your sauce sounds delish, but I'll also suggest just topping the hot dolmades with good, thick, full-fat Greek yogurt and some freshly-ground pepper. Scrummy!

It's nice to have your mil and my mil do this specialty. But ultimately, it's nice to be able to handle it on our own, especially when our DHs crave for it. Wasn't it said that a way to a man's heart is through the stomach? Plus the fact that once you start to do so, you will get the hang of it.

On how to handle a whole cabbage, first and foremost, you need to have one that has big and soft leaves (the leaves of the crunchier variety break easily). Using a small sharp knife cut the leaves free at the stem and then separate them carefully without tearing. Cut off the hard stalk before scalding. Inevitably some leaves will tear in which case you can either overlap them or use them to line the bottom of the pot.

Your suggestion of using yoghurt and ground pepper sounds great. However, most of the time I serve them without any sauce.

You can also steam these if you have a steam basket instead of boiling them. I love cabbage rolls of all kinds and remember putting together some salmon ones for a daughter that was not eating red meat at the time. I made a similar white sauce to this one (although I did not add lemon!! That would have been so divine!!) and she still loves them!!!

boufa06 said:
... especially when our DHs crave for it. Wasn't it said that a way to a man's heart is through the stomach?
Ah, but Boufa, exo desei to gaidaro mou eidi!! (for all you non-Greek-y folk, a Greek expression I find utterly charming -- translates to "I've already tied up my donkey" -- meaning, the husband has been achieved, i.e., time to relax!) Should my dearest of H's crave them that much, his mummy's right downstairs, waiting to fill his every need. He who createth man who believeth that his every craving should be met can feedeth said man.

boufa06 said:
On how to handle a whole cabbage, first and foremost, you need to have one that has big and soft leaves (the leaves of the crunchier variety break easily).
Good tip, this! I have only ever seen the very close heads of cabbage used. Not that it's very easy to source other kinds with the possible exception of Chinese cabbage. I'll keep my eyes open then. Thanks for the tip.

boufa06 said:
Your suggestion of using yoghurt and ground pepper sounds great. However, most of the time I serve them without any sauce.
Then your willpower leaves mine in its dust!!

Last edited:
Prawns?

Could you please tell me what are prawns? Sounds different than regular recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

thank you, sounds very good to me. My family refuses to eat anything from the water. This bothers me. Could I make them as the recipe says w/o the shrimp? Or would that change it too much?

ITK, I don't know if the version I have is authentic to any cuisine, but I've usually had cabbage rolls made using ground beef and a tomato sauce over them. I bet your family would eat those.

mudbug

you got the recipe on here? I am not lazy, just would appreciate it if you tell me so I can look. thanks mudbug. I know they always want to eat cabbage rolls when they are on menu in restaurant. When we do go. Seldom

Sorry, ITK, I should have added the word "eaten" in my post above after the words "the version I have..". Never made them myself. But I bet if you just substitute some ground beef and use the rest of boufa's ingredients you wouldn't go wrong.

The tomato sauce could be any kind you like to eat, I think.

In the Kitchen said:
thank you, sounds very good to me. My family refuses to eat anything from the water. This bothers me. Could I make them as the recipe says w/o the shrimp? Or would that change it too much?

For a totally vegetarian dish, you can omit the prawns/shrimps and instead add some chopped cabbage leaves to give it a more balance taste.

Lahanodolmades can also be made with meat. If you so wish, replace the prawns with 1 lb (450gm) of ground meat. These rolls are served with/without egg and lemon sauce.

Boufa, the cabbage you use, is it napa or those big hard heads of cabbage?

I'm not hungry, belly is full, but I'm hungry cuz everything sounds so good. :)

I use green cabbage which is the hard head type. In case you have a choice, go for the one with slightly softer leaves. It will make wrapping much easier. Believe me you, these rolls are very yummy!

I just can not imagine how you can separate those leaves raw!
Couldn't do it with the tight, crisp cabbages here for sure.
When I make stuffed cabbage I have to cut the core out, then boil the whole had until the leaves become pliable, then it's easy to separate them.
You blanche them too, so why not do it beforehand to make it easier?

Back
Top Bottom