Texas Caviar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrannyG

Cook
TEXAS CAVIAR

2 cans of black-eyed peas, drain only one can
1 small finely diced onion
1 tomato, diced fine
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 can of black olives, cut part of them in half

Pour one small bottle of Catalina Dressing over this mixture and let it get good and cold in the refrigerator. This is so delicious. We also like to add diced fine jalapeño pepper to it, gives it a little fire. Serve with assorted crackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make something similar--a sweet/sour vinaigrette, peas, red onion, diced green and red bell pepper, tomato, maybe jalapeno. I like to serve it as a side for a pulled pork BBQ dinner--or on New Year's Day to serve as the "peas" for good luck.

GrannyG said:
TEXAS CAVIAR

2 cans of black-eyed peas, drain only one can
1 small finely diced onion
1 tomato, diced fine
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 can of black olives, cut part of them in half

Pour one small bottle of Catalina Dressing over this mixture and let it get good and cold in the refrigerator. This is so delicious. We also like to add diced fine jalapeño pepper to it, gives it a little fire. Serve with assorted crackers.

This sounds great to serve as a summer salad, too! Thanks!

Lee

Candocook said:
I make something similar--a sweet/sour vinaigrette, peas, red onion, diced green and red bell pepper, tomato, maybe jalapeno. I like to serve it as a side for a pulled pork BBQ dinner--or on New Year's Day to serve as the "peas" for good luck.

Where did you get my recipe?? :LOL:

Ah Haaa! I heard a strange noise a few nites back...I assumed it was only "Aunt Jane" the resident ghost here at Twin Oaks...But now I see it was you!!! Ah well...since it was you...I'll let it slide.(this time) ;)

It's my recipe too! lol I love this stuff - it is also good to use on top of a salad as it's the dressing "included". I make a vinaigrette versus the Catalina - and I include cilantro and sometimes good fresh corn kernels.

kitchenelf said:
It's my recipe too! lol I love this stuff - it is also good to use on top of a salad as it's the dressing "included". I make a vinaigrette versus the Catalina - and I include cilantro and sometimes good fresh corn kernels.

So you have been slipping in my back door too! Not only did you get the recipe...you got a copy of the variation page! Honestly...the lengths some people will go to for a prize winning recipe:LOL:

Didn't you even notice the mess in your kitchen - Candocook and I stayed there and made it! I guess we forgot to leave you some - sorry :(

I must confess I did not notice the kitchen...as I left very early that morning to go deer hunting...My DW didn't say anything about it. She probably just thought I had been in there...according to her it is always a mess after I have been in there....of course I disagree:whistling

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom