"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-03-2004, 09:43 PM   #11
Master Chef

This recipe is great for kids. My mom has served this at parties for a long time and the kids just loved them. The best thing is that they can be served hot or cold.

Parmesan Chicken Bites

6 chicken breasts
½ cup crushed packaged herb-seasoned stuffing mix
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/3 cup butter, melted

Cut each chicken breast into 6-8 pieces about 1½” square. Combine stuffing mix, cheese, and parsley. Dip chicken pieces into butter. Then roll in stuffing mixture. Place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in a 300º oven for about 10 minutes, or until tender and cooked thoroughly. Serve hot or cold with toothpicks.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #12
Master Chef

we keep it simple... you have to save room for dinner, after all...
we just set out a bowl of nuts, a pair of nutcrackers, and a bowl to drop the nut-shells into, a box or 2 of gourmet chocolates, and sometimes some wine

Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 AM   #13
Head Chef

Buckytom this sounds so good, I want to make it for supper. As your son said, just put it on the table with spoons.
I do know I'm taking it as my contribution to my friends' annual Thanksgiving dinner.
Thank you
Old 11-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, lyndylou, i read thru my entire post last night, and realized i should have edited the original writer's comment about her son.

my son is 7 months old. lol, i will be happy if he makes it to 22 someday, tho. i can't wait to start shooting around a puck with him, and race down a mountain on skis or bikes, or throw him a football. next year maybe...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I just put out grapes, a block of swiss, some salami, ritz. The meal is grand, so my appetizers are not filling.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:15 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

deb, you have the right idea. We were invited to my sister's one year along with her new in-laws. The MIL was/is an excellent cook, and made a groaning tableful of hors d'oeuvres, including some kind of fish mousse molded to look like a fish and with green olive "scales."

We were so full of hors d'oeuvres that we could hardly eat any turkey.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #17
Senior Cook

May God rest his tormented soul, but the Frugal Gourmet was a big advocate of that, if you are going to serve appetizers, hold back on the main meal. How many times have we gone to a restaurant to order appetizers, just to never finish the main meal.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:55 PM   #18
Head Chef

Well, my family eats the large special-occasion meals in the evening, not midday. We don't eat lunch, so we bring out the appetizers around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon and have them while we are opening birthday or Christmas gifts and catching up with each other.

As far as restaurants go, I never order appetizers unless I am going to make a meal of just THEM. If I go to a place that serves all kinds of free stuff before the meal (like soup or salad or bean relish or something that I won't be taking home), I will decide what I'm ordering for a main meal, and if it's something that will be great leftover from a doggy bag (like prime rib), I eat the pre-meal stuff. If my entree is something that is not good the second time (like fried clams), I will just take a taste of the pre-meal things.

Hey, it takes a lot of thought to be a foodie! :-)

Lee
Old 11-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #19
Master Chef

I just got my November issue of Cooking Light and they have a whole section of light dips and appetizers for T-giving. They all sound good and can be used in various ways (cold/hot dips, leftovers as spreads for sammys, etc).
Old 11-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I just got my November issue of Cooking Light and they have a whole section of light dips and appetizers for T-giving. They all sound good and can be used in various ways (cold/hot dips, leftovers as spreads for sammys, etc).
you get that too? I used to. I miss that magazine, and I don't know why I never renewed the subscription.

I can't believe marmalady hasn't posted on this thread!
She mentioned something somewhere about rolled up strips of good roastbeef or other sliced meat. I do something similiar, but put a thin layer of cream cheese on the slice (mixed with minced green onion or chives--my aunt made it once using VERY crushed wallnuts) and roll up and stick with toothpicks.

Tags
None