Thanksgiving Hors D'oeuvres

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SierraCook said:
This recipe is great for kids. My mom has served this at parties for a long time and the kids just loved them. The best thing is that they can be served hot or cold.

Parmesan Chicken Bites

6 chicken breasts
½ cup crushed packaged herb-seasoned stuffing mix
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/3 cup butter, melted

Cut each chicken breast into 6-8 pieces about 1½” square. Combine stuffing mix, cheese, and parsley. Dip chicken pieces into butter. Then roll in stuffing mixture. Place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in a 300º oven for about 10 minutes, or until tender and cooked thoroughly. Serve hot or cold with toothpicks.

36_1_11.gif

yumm.. I love things that are simple to make... especially appetizers. Those would be really good with some honey/mustard dressing, salsa, buckytom's buffalo dip, or bbq sauce.

Although we love appetizers, and often make a meal of them, agree that one should probably do light ones before a big feast.

One Christmas we made an antipasto type of appetizer plate that was outrageous.

The only problem was no one wanted to eat the main meal.

Fancy Hors D'oeuvres for T-Day

Can anyone help me with some fancy Hors D'oeuvres recipes for Thanksgiving. I'm going to my mother-in-law-to-be's for the holiday and she always does such an amazing job with the food and such an elegant job with the decorating that I'd really like to make something that looks and tastes... well... fancy.

The problem is that there are two constraints:

1. The food needs to be kosher style (i.e. no dairy, shellfish, etc.); and

2. it needs to hold up to a 2 hour car ride and I probably won't have access to an oven to reheat anything once I get there.

Please help. I'd really like to impress my mother-in-law-to-be and bring some Hors D'oeuvres that measure up to her amazing entertaining style.

I don't know if you like mushrooms, but here is one. It would travel well too.... just pack in a larger container/cooler with ice.

Marinated mushrooms:

1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, halved lengthwise
2 lbs small mushrooms, stems trimmed
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
6 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-low heat.
Add garlic; saute until golden, about 6 minutes.
Discard garlic.
Increase heat to medium-high.
Add mushrooms and parsley; saute until mushrooms are golden, about 8 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cool to room temperature.
Transfer to container; cover and chill until cold. (Can be made 2 days ahead, Keep chilled).
Drain mushrooms before serving.

or Ruth, you could wrap some water chestnuts in prosciotto..that is always yummy, and that will keep for the travel too! Or, you could make little roast beef rolls secured with toothpicks.. make a good spicy mustard/horseradish dressing for a dip...that would also travel well.

Ruth,

Did you see the posts above, for Salmon Canapes? I was going to suggest those for you. If you can't use cream cheese, you could use mayo with maybe a little horsey sauce. Fresh dill makes these among the prettiest appetizers I've ever made. You could use the breads suggested, or take rye or pumpernickel bagels and cut them into "coins".

Another idea is tapenade, which is one of my family's favorites, but not quite as pretty as salmon canapes.

Lee

QSis said:
Ruth,

Did you see the posts above, for Salmon Canapes? I was going to suggest those for you. If you can't use cream cheese, you could use mayo with maybe a little horsey sauce. Fresh dill makes these among the prettiest appetizers I've ever made. You could use the breads suggested, or take rye or pumpernickel bagels and cut them into "coins".

Another idea is tapenade, which is one of my family's favorites, but not quite as pretty as salmon canapes.

Lee

I'll experiment with you mayo idea, but smoked salmon and mayo almost sound a bit sacreligious to a jew. :LOL:

I love the tapenade idea though! Do you have a recipe?

Sure I have a recipe! I've been making this one that I found in a little booklet called Appetizers for years. The author's name is Carol Cutler, but this recipe I've tweeked a bit.

Lee

Tapenade (makes 2 cups)

1 1/2 cups oil-cured black olives, preferably Greek or French, pitted (Lee
s note: an olive/cherry pitter works GREAT for this!)

1/4-1/3 cup olive oil

2 T lemon juice

2 T brandy

1 can (3 1/4 oz) tuna fish in oil

1 bottle (3 1/4 oz) capers, drained

1 can (2 oz) anchovy filets in oil

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 T mustard powder

1/2 teas black pepper

large pinch of ground cloves

large pinch ground ginger

large pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Place olives in food processor. Cover and slowly pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. Turn off motor and add all the rest. Process to smooth paste. Add remaining oil if desired.

Taste and correct seasonings as necessary. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsely or chives. Cover and refrigerate.

Serve with thin slices of French bread or baguette.

I don't know if this recipe has been posted somewhere on here or not (I haven't been here that long), but something really easy to make is cocktail meatballs. Your favorite recipe or you can buy them frozen. Thaw them and mix them in a saucepan with a small jar of grape jelly and a jar of chili sauce. Add 2-3 tsp. lemon juice to brighten the flavor. Cook until the sauce glazes the meatballls. You can also make this with cocktail weiners or little smokies if you like that sort of thing.

Buffalo chicken dip

Thanks, Bucky. Made your dip for work today. Biiig hit. Even had to give the recipe to someone who never cooks! Thanks, again!

I made the pigs in a blanket using the Pillsbury crescent dough...they were a huge success...The only trouble I had was opening the can of dough..but my 12 yr old stepson came to my rescue!

And I bet your son ate a pile of those babies!

Did he make them? I used to give that job to my nephew when he was that age.

Lee

Re: Buffalo chicken dip

LynnT said:
Thanks, Bucky. Made your dip for work today. Biiig hit. Even had to give the recipe to someone who never cooks! Thanks, again!

you are quite welcome lynnt. that stuff IS awesome. if you like buffalo wings, but don't want to clean up all of those little bones at a party, or have your guests feeling funny about licking their orange coated fingers, it's the dip for you. btw, for a great and easy dessert, try the coconut macaroon recipe i posted under sweets,dessertsn thread under coconut.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom