"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thanksgiving Hors D'oeuvres

Looking for new ideas.....so far cinnamon chips w/a fruit dip and fruit salsa.... chopped apple, pear, pecans, cranberries etc...
Endive w/a cream cheese and smoked salmon spread.
All ideas are welcome. Kid friendly especially....

Old 11-02-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Head Chef

Kid friendly appetizers?

Well, the little kids and big kids in my family gobble up Pigs in a Blanket. Get a package of 50 little cocktail weiners, and two packages of Pillsbury Crescent rolls. Cut each dough triangle into thirds and roll up a weiner, so the point of each triangle is on the outside. Bake about 12 minutes at 350 and serve in a big napkin-lined basket. Can serve small bowls of mustard and ketchup on the side, but these things are great as is.

Also, you can slice up bologna, cheese and dill pickles. Skewer a slice of each on toothpicks and stick them in a grapefruit or two lemons to present. Add a few toothpicks with olives, too, some green and some black.

Kids like shrimp cocktail, too, for some reason (I hate the stuff!)

Lee

Old 11-02-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Head Chef

Oh yeah, and scroll down to see the Cranberry Brie recipe I posted recently. Maybe substitute cream cheese for brie? I dunno - kids might like the brie.

Lee
Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Thanks QSis..pigs in the blanket are a great idea...and your way of making them is easy...Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hi Chez Suz I love to make puff pastry pockets (more traingles). You can stuff them with veggies, chicken and cheese and bake them.

My kids absolutely love them and it's so easy for them to hold in their little hands and eat them.

I use the readymade pepper-ridge farm puff pastry sheets. There are two sheets and eaach is folded into three halves. I cut each half into 3-4 squares add the filling and then fold into a traingle. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them and bake them at the end.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya chez suz,

i've been saving this one for a special post, so here's a really kid and guy friendly dip i found on epicurious. good for big family gatherings like thanksgiving and football games and so on.

BONNIE'S BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, about 2 pounds, boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (crockpot is a great way to cook the chicken) Don't cut chicken into chunks..it needs to be shredded

1 - 12 ounce bottle Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (try not to substitute here, Frank's really is the best. Crystal would be okay but do NOT use Tabasco)

2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese

1 - 16 ounce bottle Ranch dressing

1/2 cup chopped celery

8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine shredded cooked chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's sauce, spreading to form an even layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese and entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til hot & smooth. Pour this evenly over chicken mixture.

Sprinkle with celery. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; then sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or til bubbly. Serve with celery sticks for dippers and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds. My 22 year old son says to just put out spoons, he loves this so much.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

Oh, well, buckytom, that Buffalo Dip is DEFINITELY going to be the next one I take to the neighbors' house for one of our holiday get-togethers! Looks incredible!!!

Lee
Old 11-03-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
Master Chef

A favorite everywhere we go is Knox Blocks. The recipe is on Knox unflavored geliten boxes. The advantage of these over Jello Jigglers, is that they have the flavor of regular Jello. Jigglers are made simply by reducing the amount of water in the recipe. This concentrates the flavor, making it too strong for many. Using the Knox recipe, you are adding extra geliten to the recipe to create a more stable and firm geliten. They stay solid at room temperature, and in sittle hands. you can get molds for them as well. We use ice-cube molds, bean shaped molds, and egg molds (size of medium chicken eggs). Everyone loves these sweet treats that can be made with either the regular Jello, or no sugar version. And the taste is as good as regular Jello.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Master Chef

Oh, I forgot to mention that at the last family get together, I mad a batch of Knox Blocks simply by pouring the liquid onto a greased jelly-roll pan, with multiple colors/flavors of product, taking care not to mix them. The result was mulit colored and flavored Jello roll-up. Kind of like fruit rol-ups, but with finger jello. It was a huge hit.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the north.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #10
Hospitality Queen

To build on that jell-o theme...
Here's one that's fun. My kids love these, and
they really are easy to cut out. Because of the
milk & pudding, they kind of taste like
50/50 bars, if you use orange.

Creamy Cut-Outs
2 pkgs (6oz. ea) orange or strawberry jell-o
2½ c. boiling water
1 c. cold milk
1 pkg (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding mix

Dissolve jell-o in water; set aside for 30 minutes.
Whisk milk & pudding mix until smooth,
about 1 minute. Quickly pour into jell-o; whisk
until well blended. Pour into an oiled 13x9x2
pan. Chill until set. Cut, using a knife into squares
or use metal cookie cutters.

Tags
None