"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like the taste of salmon roe, but I don't like the way those big eggs squish in my mouth.
If you use a lo of it, you will not feel any squishing. You can always pick a nice jar at any russian store. Look for Peter pan Brand, they are the best, and even better is Haifa Fish brand, but they are impossible to find.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If you use a lo of it, you will not feel any squishing. You can always pick a nice jar at any russian store. Look for Peter pan Brand, they are the best, and even better is Haifa Fish brand, but they are impossible to find.
Thanks for the tip Charlie. A Russian store should be easier to find than a Scandinavian one. I wonder if DH will like it.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Best caviar and lox I've ever had was supplied for a company Christmas party by a few Russian immigrant employees. The peppar vodka was pretty good too. Thanks, Charlie for the Peter Pan tip; do you like smoked caviar?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Head Chef

I've always wondered what's the proper cracker to serve caviar on is. Keep in mind that I'm shopping for it at my local major chain store. Any default brand for caviar that's on the shelves?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
Cook

A very popular quality brand of cracker for it would be CARRS (the plain water cracker ideally so it doesn't interfere with the taste too much). But try Paddlefish caviar. It's reasonably priced and delicious. Not sure how easy it is to find locally which is why I was suggesting this place which I have had the best experience - http://www.kellyskatch.com (and no they don't send me an ounce as a kick back for sending them a customer... but they should!!!! haha. I am always recommending this place. But they're good.).

Now, CARRS is fine and available but this other wafer cracker is one of the best things ever and really great for caviar because the flavor is great but mild and the whole thing is light you can eat a million of them. I'll post a pick of the packaging. I haven't found it on line but I think I am going to try to find it because I am annoyed at the local place that can't seem to get a fresh batch in stock. As I said, the only thing about these wafers is they don't keep as long as other crackers... although all good crackers don't last TOO long before they get stale so I guess that's just the way it is.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I've always wondered what's the proper cracker to serve caviar on is. Keep in mind that I'm shopping for it at my local major chain store. Any default brand for caviar that's on the shelves?
I like Ritz crackers, but I guess the right stuff must be what the Ruskies use.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Cook

I like Ritz for cheese (although I haven't had it since the 70's I think... jk). But might be too salty for caviar.

Here's a pic of the Wafer Crisps they're called. These have a flavor but they have plain ones. Now to find where to get it besides from this local place. I'm impatient and I love these little things.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
Head Chef

In some James Bond or other movies where they're eating caviar (Patton), its somewhat a thick cracker, about 1\4" thick. From the color of it, it's also meant to be somewhat plain so as to not take away from the flavor of the caviar.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Cook

When in doubt always go with James Bond. Actually another good thing to use are these little toast crackers. That may be what you're talking about.

Something kind of like this:

Old 05-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Master Chef

Bill, I do not believe I ever had smoked caviar, interesting. As far as proper cracker to serve caviar on, well there isn't one. It is a poor man's choice. You take a piece of bread, regular size and shmear the same thickness caviar as bread on it. And my recommendations to eat it after you had diner or lunch, so you are no hungry anymore and eat this for pure self-satisfaction of eating caviar.

Sorry, growing up in Soviet Union caviar was not such a big deal, though it was impossible to buy in the store, but if you knew right people it was in abundance. We had both, black and red caviar shipped to us from factory where they were produced in gallon size containers. As you can imagine no amount of crackers could work to gobble up so much caviar.

Tags
None