"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Head Chef

Tiny caramel apples

I'm putting this in the Appetizer category, since I'm picturing them as being about the size of cocktail onions. Maybe not BEFORE dinner though.

Next week's BBQ competition has an "extra category": anything using some of the 3 lbs of apples you are given.

I have an idea to make mini caramel apples, by peeling the apples and making small balls using a melon baller. Placing the balls in lemon ice water to prevent browning, then inserting toothpicks in the balls and dipping them in melted caramels. Then dipped in nuts or coconut and chilled.

What do you think?

Lee

Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Lee, this might be an of-the-wall comment, but how about using crab apples instead of apple balls? Just an idea.

I know they'd be a bit tart, but wouldn't that be a nice "surprise?"

Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

Great idea, Katie, especially for the darned crabapples that are all over my driveway every fall!

But each team must use some of the 3 lbs of apples given to them by the contest organizer.

Lee
Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, well, nice try. The apple balls sound like a good plan. Instead of soaking them is acidulated water, how about soaking them in lemon vodka? Give 'em a kick.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

Wow.... I'm liking where this is going... I think your ideas sound great. I have always liked the flavor of caramel apples, but never would eat or buy one cuz it is way to much, this may be a great way to that caramel apple fix without having to indulge the whole apple!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Cook

:grim: (Where's that grim reaper smilely when you need it...)

I hath ressurected this thread for to see how these turned out.

Seriously, I think this might be something to make for my bowling league potluck. I was already considering applesauce and little caramel apples would be a neat addition (not to mention I can use the leftovers from the appleballs to make the applesauce.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Head Chef

Well, you may be the first to try it, Vapor! Let us know how they were, if you make them! :-)

Lee
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Head Chef

Instead of the vodka--how about soaking in Hot D@mn.. get an apple cinnamon thing going....
Old 11-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Instead of the vodka--how about soaking in Hot D@mn.. get an apple cinnamon thing going....
Now that sounds awesome - great idea !
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Well, if I'm gonna be the first, I'm gonna need to buy a couple of things (a melon baller being the first thing that comes to mind...) and learn a couple of things... like how to make/melt/whatever a caramel coating that'll stick and stay mosty solid at room temp.

My first idea was using a double boiler to melt the old standby Brach's caramels (with the mess of unwrapping all those tiny blocks of chewy goodness...), but I'm not sure how well that'll work.

I think I'll wind up breaking out a food processor, as standard chopped peanuts might just be a little out of scale... peanuts reduced to the size of dust might work better... Hopefully I won't just end up with peanut butter.

Tags
None