Tomato soup, skins or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BML

Assistant Cook
I saw a recipe for Tomato soup that set out what one had to do and at the end it said to put the result through a blender. Would this cut up what I thought would be tough Tomato skins?

Hi and welcome BML. I just can't imagine not removing the skins for tomato soup. Even using a blender, the thought of itty bitty bits of skins wouldn't be something I'd want in a nice tomato soup. Cut a shallow X in the bottom of your tomatoes and drop into boiling water for 10 seconds to easily skin them. Easy peasy. ;)

I've removed skins and seeds from tomatoes, but in our family, we don't bother, and we use a hand blender which cuts them up small and they aren't noticeable to us. You would have a difficult time identifying a tiny bit of skin, unless you had a microscope. I love a good tomato soup, a little cream or milk, a little onion, a little carrot for sweetness, and just the right amount of salt and pepper.

A blender is great for that. Just be careful if you are using it with hot liquids, use a towel on top and don't get burned.

When I want to remove tomato skins, I cut the tomatoes in half and grate them on a box grater. Super easy and no boiling or ice water necessary.

My recipe for cream of tomato soup:

campbells-tomato-soup.jpg
2AFE59A100000578-4077662-image-a-43_1483146775864.jpg

I've removed skins and seeds from tomatoes, but in our family, we don't bother, and we use a hand blender which cuts them up small and they aren't noticeable to us. You would have a difficult time identifying a tiny bit of skin, unless you had a microscope. I love a good tomato soup, a little cream or milk, a little onion, a little carrot for sweetness, and just the right amount of salt and pepper.

A blender is great for that. Just be careful if you are using it with hot liquids, use a towel on top and don't get burned.

Goes to show how much I know Bliss. :LOL: I've never actually made tomato soup from fresh tomatoes. ;) Your soup sounds great.
Actually this recipe (exactly as written but less sugar) is the best TS I've ever had and I use the recipe often.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/tomato-soup-nodak-style-93477.html

I've made it both ways. If I'm making it for myself, I don't care whether the skins are in it or not. If I'm making it for company I cook up the rough chopped tomatoes, and then run them through a food mill. You can also press them through a chinois, fine sieve, or even a strainer with the back of a wooden spoon. Not a lot of extra work.

Last edited:
I cut the tomatoes in half horizontally, squeeze out the seeds, salt and pepper, toss with a bit of olive oil, then roast cut side down. Let them cool and the skins slip right off.

+1

There is a certain amount of vitamins and minerals, and certainly fiber, in skins. I incorporate skins as much as possible.

I've never made tomato soup with fresh tomato. I use canned. If I did use fresh, I think I'd skin them first.

Why not? If you don't want to peel tomatoes, then don't. After all, you are the Irving Berlin of your tomato skin (Sorry - I think I have watched too many Chef John - foodwishes.com videos).

A friend makes apple crisp with the apple skins on the cut wedges. It tastes just as good as a peeled version. Mrs. T decided that it is a terrific labor saver, and never peels apples any more.

Why not? If you don't want to peel tomatoes, then don't. After all, you are the Irving Berlin of your tomato skin (Sorry - I think I have watched too many Chef John - foodwishes.com videos).

A friend makes apple crisp with the apple skins on the cut wedges. It tastes just as good as a peeled version. Mrs. T decided that it is a terrific labor saver, and never peels apples any more.

:LOL: You and me both. ;)
He's terrific.

Goes to show how much I know Bliss. :LOL: I've never actually made tomato soup from fresh tomatoes. ;) Your soup sounds great.
Actually this recipe (exactly as written but less sugar) is the best TS I've ever had and I use the recipe often.

I remember that fun thread, and just re-read it. :LOL: Thanks for bringing this back up, Kay. It disappeared off my radar and now that the weather is cooling down, I'm definitely making it.

Last edited:

I remember that fun thread, and just re-read it. :LOL: Thanks for bringing this back up, Kay. It disappeared off my radar and now that the weather is cooling down, I'm definitely making it.
Me too. That soup really is yummy and will be made soon at my house. And yes, thank you Kay for reminding us of that soup.

I just recently made a tomato soup, where the recipe said leave the skins on ( the soup will be blended at the end , so it didn't matter). Well, it mattered :) The soup i made is supposed to be smooth and creamy, and although not the end of the world, some of the skins avoided the blender blades, and it wasn't very pleasant when they found there way into my mouth. I wound up straining the rest of the soup, which removed any remaining skins. I just recently made the soup a second time. This time I removed the skins in advance. Much more pleasant experience.

So,if you have a great blender , or are going to strain the soup, then go right ahead. If not, I suggest removing the skins.

If you don't mind the texture of the tomato skins in a creamy soup, then knock yourself out.

I don't want tomato skins in any of my food. Seeds are almost as bad and so is that clear goop in the middle.

Ideally you blanche the tomato witch makes the skin crack and separate from the meat. Then cut the tomato in half equatorially. That is like the equator of the earth. Separate the top and bottom, not the sides. This exposes all that and all you do it squeeze. And not even that hard. You can discard the clear gook and seeds then. Your sauce or whatever will be made from the meat. There is a small hard spot near where the stem was, I get then out later because they are always cut up more. Once the half is cut in half it is easy. I don't want the "customer" to have to be careful or whatever.

T

Last edited:
hello 2017
no question in my mind - no skin

but... if you think the skin is going to add more flavour then, like Larry, be prepared to strain.

Last edited:
dragon, I actually have always and still do blend my tomatoes using an oster blender and I can't find actual pieces of tomato skins. It really surprised me when Larry said he had blended a soup and still found skin pieces because I thought he had an oster blender too. Maybe I leave it in blending long enough that it makes the skin tiny and also cuts the seeds.

I don't take the skins and seeds out and I've never had a complaint or even notice it. I do it for nutritional reasons. If you google "nutritional value of tomato skins and seeds" you'll see how much nutrition is getting thrown out. Not everyone cooks or eats for nutrition. Some people eat for flavor. Sometimes texture or volume make a difference to people. Boredom and variety can affect why and how people eat.

I prefer eating for nutrition and flavor. I saw a really nice tomato cabbage soup in looking at today's threads. I'm probably going to make it later today after we pickle some cucumbers.

Back
Top Bottom