"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Interesting ideas.

CWS--are you saying spray them with the flavored water then the oil? or no oil at all?

Patty, once I run out of powdered cheddar cheese, I'll give the search a try. I'm trying to use the powder and see if I can make something tasty out of it besides mac and cheese.

I thought I'd get this done today, but, it looks like I won't get it done until tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the results, I'll report back.
Garlic, chili powder....mmmmm maybe a little cayenne too.
I don't use oil on mine--but if I were to do that, I'd probably brush them with oil and then spray them.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Head Chef

Good ideas!

On a side note, I made this tomato soup a few weeks ago from my dehydrated tomatoes, a pinch of baking soda, chili powder, garlic .........some other veggies.........and my son says to me, "mom this tastes kind of like nacho cheese flavored soup". (there was no cheese or cheese powder in it)

So I'm thinking, in the cheese powdered flavored chips, I'll put in some chili powder, garlic and a pinch of baking soda with ground of dehydrated tomatoes too. Don't you love how your fingers turn orange with the nacho cheese powder? If I could make that, I'd be a happy camper.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Head Chef

Son and I made one of the three large packages of corn tortillas into chips last night.
We haven't tried the spritzing salt water on them yet, maybe today.

I made a cheese veggie spice mix in the food processor, it took quite a while to powder. It isn't exactly nacho cheesse, nice color, interesting taste.

I dehydrated
3 large tomatoes
2 green peppers
1 red pepper (not hot)
1 bulb of garlic cloves
3 small onions microwaved until soft, <1/2 cup

Then added them to the processor with:
1/2 cup cheddar whey powder
1 T chili powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of turmeric (for color)
1 T salt

It's a reddish brown powder. Finer than chili powder or salt.
Nothing sticks to the baked chips once baked. I read somewhere to brush them again with oil, apply seasonings and bake for a short time.

We're going to try citric acid and chili powder in a spice grinder for another flavor. Wish me luck! This isn't nearly as easy (blending flavors) as I thought it might be.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Head Chef

I've made pita chips by brushing them with olive oil (spraying is a good idea) and sprinkling Zaatar on them. Delicious. I get the spice mix at a Middle Easter grocery store in Virginia Beach when I'm there visiting our son. It's worth trying.

Tags
chips, corn, flour, other, tortillas