Unexpected company challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Uh oh! Out of nowhere, someone (your best friend, Uncle Bob, mudbug, etc.) is ringing the doorbell, wanting to come in for a visit.

Naturally as a brilliant hostess/host, you will offer them a little something to eat during the visit, but you are limited to what you have on hand right now! No fair sneaking off to the store.

What could you make this very afternoon to tide them over until dinner, using only ingredients you have immediately available? Must take 20 minutes or less to prepare - time enough to get a drink of something into them.

Only thing I would be able to do is crackers and cheese plate or spinach dip w/ veggies and/or crackers.

Everything else would require defrosting meat, wraps, etc.

mudbug said:
Uh oh! Out of nowhere, someone (your best friend, Uncle Bob, mudbug, etc.) is ringing the doorbell, wanting to come in for a visit.

Depending on who it is, Hubby would probably want to turn out the lights and not answer the door! ;)

I have cheese and crackers on hand at all times, as well as veggies like carrots, peppers, broccoli and ranch dressing, so I could through together a veggie and dip tray.

Have tortillas, so if they preferred sweet I could brush them with melted butter sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them, cut in to wedges and bake 'till crispy. If I had yogurt around they could be dipped in that.

Tortillas could also be done with chili poweder, garlic powder, etc for a savory.

Wrap salami around pepperoncini and secure with a toothpick. Put out various cheeses on a cheese platter. Serve with various crackers. Make a mini antipasti platter with olives, pepperoncini, pickled garlic, dill pickles, etc.

OK, first of all if my Uncle Bob knocked on my door it would mean that I'm in heaven too! :shock: Secondly, I'd cut some French bread into triangles, spread with garlic buter & top with grated parm cheese or mozzerella slide into the oven to get the bread crispy & about half way through top with a tomato slice & basil.

Antipasti is definately a great idea! I always always have some dessert in the fridge or frozen cookie dough (take only 15 minutes to bake). Great savers!

I would have the makings for an antipasto platter - pepperoni, different cheeses, green olives, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, water-packed mozzarella - I'd probably toss the tomatoes and mozzarella with the basil oil I already have made - then I have enough prosciutto to roll up and add to it. I have some goat cheese left that if someone wanted to spread that on baguette slices they could and then pile as much of the above on top - (I'm getting hungry now LOL)

I have some feta too that I would mix with some of the cucumber and celery and tomatoes and make GB's Greek side dish he posted a few weeks ago - it is great with toasted baguette slices.

mudbug - lol - so it's Uncle Bob and YOU that's coming over unexpectedly!!!!! If you don't show up for about 3 hours I'll have the Champagne cold too!!!!!!

How about "Peperoncini ripieni di capperi e acciughe"
or
Chillies stuffed with anchovies

10 Red Chillies
500ml Olive Oil
1 tspoon small capers per chilli

Slit chillies lengthwise & remove seeds (make chilli boats). Heat oil, but not to smoking point. Drop in chillies & let them steep in the oil for a couple of minutes. Take care not to overcook or the skins will come off and they will look wrinkly and unappertising.

Remove the chillies from the oil & drain on kitchen paper.

Chop anchovies & mix with capers. When chillies cool enough to handle, fill eachwith the anchovy mixture. Serve with any boiled meats or as part of an antipasto platter.

Courtesy Stephano De Pieri

They are really good.

the least that you would get is a good Canadian "barley" sandwich...usually have a pita style bread around so we can make heat and serve pizza. As with the others we usually have cheese and crackers plus we also keep lots of fresh fruit with dip. come on up Mudbug....food is on!!!Pst 8)

I keep this in my freezer for appetizer emergencies:

Smoked Salmon Spirals

500g thinly sliced smoked salmon(lox)
250g cream cheese softened
2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp minced red onion

thin sliced pumpernickel or rye bread.

Arrange salmon on plastic wrap in 12x8 inch rectangle. Spread cream cheese over salmon. Press capers and onion into row on the long edge. Roll up, jelly roll style, using the plastic wrap to guide you as you go. Seal tightly and freeze for at least 4 hours, or up to a few months.

To serve, take out and thaw for 10 minutes. Then slice into 1/4" rounds and place on bread.

This recipe looks very impressive and is super-easy! I love it.

there's always various cheeses and cured meats around the house, as well as crackers and fruit, and different kinds of mustards, so i could do a platter of those.
usually there's a jar of pickled herring, stuffed cherry peppers, pickled veggies (cukes, hot peppers, beets and onions, cherry tomatoes), so i could make a platter of those as well.
and there's always the standby cream cheese, melted, and mixed with jams or preserves, served with crackers and hot sauces...

Bruschetta on fresh Euro bread, with melted provolone is sort of a household standard snack, and generally thought "presentable" for surprise company...Margaret makes a really great salsa dip for tortilla chips that is "doable within 15 minutes"...if you wanted the one using cheese and ground beef (likewise a "staple" in our freezer), you should perhaps let me into the kitchen...

Lifter

If someone stopped by today they would have gotten freshly baked Chocolate Truffle Cookies..noone stopped by so more for me and my honey!

Dilly sandwiches would be on the table tonight. Take a block of softened cream cheese & mix in some dried dill(to taste), spread on wheat bread that has the crust removed & rolled flat, place a whole dill pickle on short end of bread & roll up. Slice into 6-8 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom