"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Veggie patch pizza from Applebee's

Not a big Applebee's fan but I did like their veggie patch pizza which they removed from the menu - my reason for going there. It was almost like their cheesey spinach dip on a flour tortilla baked with tiny diced tomatoes and mushrooms. I would like to make this at home anyway. I need to be able to recreate the base spinach and sauce and to know what kind of cheese is on top. Is anyone familiar with this or have ideas or can you point me in the direction of where to find it? Any info appreciated. I really loved and miss that cheap little treat.

__________________

__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
According to their website:

"An ultra-thin pizza topped with mushrooms, creamy spinach with Asiago cheese, artichoke hearts, bruschetta, and a rich blend of Italian cheeses"

The creamy spinach and artichoke with Asiago cheese may be like a spinach and artichoke dip. Costco carries that.

The bruschetta is tomatoes, basil, olive oil and maybe some shallots.

The rich blend of Italian cheeses is your guess. How about Parm, pecorino, asiago, fontina.


OR, you can look here: http://www.food.com/recipe/applebees...h-pizza-232365
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
There seem to be an abundance of recipes on the internet for copycat versions of the Veggie Patch Pizza.

This one looks the most authentic to me:
The Deluded Diva Blog Archive How to be a copycat chef
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
SherryDAmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 275
I make this all the time: Agree it's one of my favorites.

Flour tortillas
Jar of artichoke/spinach dip
bag of shredded cheese (Mexican mix is good)
sliced mushrooms
sliced olives
spinach or basil leaves
sliced cherry tomatoes
sliced scallion greens

Spread tablespoon or so fo artichoke dip on tortillas, cover with about 2/3 cup of cheese, top with vegetables. Bake on cookie sheet about 7 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and tortilla is crisp.
__________________
The more you live, the less you die" - Janis Joplin
SherryDAmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
According to their website:

"An ultra-thin pizza topped with mushrooms, creamy spinach with Asiago cheese, artichoke hearts, bruschetta, and a rich blend of Italian cheeses"

The creamy spinach and artichoke with Asiago cheese may be like a spinach and artichoke dip. Costco carries that.

The bruschetta is tomatoes, basil, olive oil and maybe some shallots.

The rich blend of Italian cheeses is your guess. How about Parm, pecorino, asiago, fontina.

OR, you can look here: http://www.food.com/recipe/applebees...h-pizza-232365
Thanks. Good info. Love the links. The only internet access I have right now is on my phone which makes it difficult to surf long periods on the net - the phone goes dead. Links speed the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
There seem to be an abundance of recipes on the internet for copycat versions of the Veggie Patch Pizza.

This one looks the most authentic to me:
The Deluded Diva Blog Archive How to be a copycat chef
Again thank you also for the links. My phone isn't very quick and surfing kills the battery quickly so the links are very appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore
I make this all the time: Agree it's one of my favorites.

Flour tortillas
Jar of artichoke/spinach dip
bag of shredded cheese (Mexican mix is good)
sliced mushrooms
sliced olives
spinach or basil leaves
sliced cherry tomatoes
sliced scallion greens

Spread tablespoon or so fo artichoke dip on tortillas, cover with about 2/3 cup of cheese, top with vegetables. Bake on cookie sheet about 7 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and tortilla is crisp.
Thanks for the recipe and YUMMY! Looks awesome. I will get these ingredients next time I get groceries.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Veggie Patch Pizza was always a favorite of mine too. Didn't realize it was off the menu, I'm very happy with all the links and recipe too! Thanks!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 708
I loved it as well and made the copycat version quite awhile back, I can't remember how it turned out
__________________
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Both in Italy and Spain
Posts: 3,425
Do you employ semolina flour or 00 Pizza flour or all purpose ? From my experience the choice of flour, makes a difference in the type of crust thiness or thickness one shall have ...

Would enjoy hearing views on this ...
GRAZIE.
Margi. Cintrano.
__________________
Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
SherryDAmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Do you employ semolina flour or 00 Pizza flour or all purpose ? From my experience the choice of flour, makes a difference in the type of crust thiness or thickness one shall have ...

Would enjoy hearing views on this ...
GRAZIE.
Margi. Cintrano.
This "pizza" is made with a flour tortilla......
__________________
The more you live, the less you die" - Janis Joplin
SherryDAmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
This "pizza" is made with a flour tortilla......
Mind the flour tortillas - many are not vegetarian....
__________________

__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pizza

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.