"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 351
Waffle This!

Has anyone seen the videos, "Can you waffle this?" Wow! Some interesting food that I would have never thought of making in the waffle iron. The one that looked really fun to me were Tater Tots. I'm going to give that a try.

Check it out. It really gets your mind going as to the possibilities of using a waffle iron for something other than waffles.

__________________

FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
I saw an episode of The Kitchen where they used a waffle iron for various things. The hash browns looked really good, as did the other goodies they prepared.

I don't like waffles, so I never saw a use for the iron, but this is making me rethink it.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I saw an episode of The Kitchen where they used a waffle iron for various things. The hash browns looked really good, as did the other goodies they prepared.

I don't like waffles, so I never saw a use for the iron, but this is making me rethink it.
Ever had waffles made with a yeast dough instead of batter? Big difference!
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ever had waffles made with a yeast dough instead of batter? Big difference!

Can't say I have.

Not a fan of pancakes either.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Can't say I have.

Not a fan of pancakes either.
I bet if you tried my sour cream pancakes, you might just be a convert. Very, very light. Need the apple sauce or syrup just to keep them from floating off the plate!
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Can't say I have.

Not a fan of pancakes either.

If you pour pancake batter on a waffle iron, it turns them into something far better, and when you pour maple syrup into all those little indentations, the syrup doesn't run off all over your plate. Truly a magical transformation.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I bet if you tried my sour cream pancakes, you might just be a convert. Very, very light. Need the apple sauce or syrup just to keep them from floating off the plate!
Have your posted the recipe? I am willing to give them a try, I love cream cheese.


If you boost you MUST post!! LOL
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Have your posted the recipe? I am willing to give them a try, I love cream cheese.


If you boost you MUST post!! LOL
You do mean boast?

3 lg eggs
12 Tbsp Bisquick
6 heaping Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. You want a pancake batter. If too thick add some milk/half & half/ cream to thin. Too thin add more Bisquick.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You do mean boast?

3 lg eggs
12 Tbsp Bisquick
6 heaping Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. You want a pancake batter. If too thick add some milk/half & half/ cream to thin. Too thin add more Bisquick.
Thank You!!


LOL yes
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Has anyone seen the videos, "Can you waffle this?" Wow! Some interesting food that I would have never thought of making in the waffle iron. The one that looked really fun to me were Tater Tots. I'm going to give that a try.

Check it out. It really gets your mind going as to the possibilities of using a waffle iron for something other than waffles.
Highly recommend this cook book for the waffle iron.We have yet to actually make a waffle since buying it.

Waffle Iron Genius: CQ Products: 9781563835124: Amazon.com: Books

They do have a recipe for the tots that's just fantastic.Very simple to adapt with your own ideas.The trick is to use thawed tater tots sprayed with some pam.Toss in seasonings or cheese.Another quick spray of pam to the hot iron.Arrange the tater tots.Close and toast it to your liking.My guys like them dipped in gravy. Try a burger on one of those.

Omelets are I've heard are really good to.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,919
Munky, I wonder how that book compares to this one: Will It Waffle?

*************************

I keep forgetting to try this, and am reminded each time one of these threads pops up. I can bet I'll forget again as soon as I close this window...

How to "Fry" Cheese in Your Waffle Iron
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Munky, I wonder how that book compares to this one: Will It Waffle?

*************************

I keep forgetting to try this, and am reminded each time one of these threads pops up. I can bet I'll forget again as soon as I close this window...

How to "Fry" Cheese in Your Waffle Iron
I think it would nicely compliment the other one.
It does have a few more recipes.Mine has 38.They have 53.
To be honest reading what they have listed for recipes.I see a few that looks to me to be repeated. Just pictured differently.

One thing that I have yet to see that's been a TNT here is Skirt steak Quesadillas. Sirloin steak and eggs either.

I will be trying out tonight a recipe from mine that they call Thanksgiving Leftovers.I'll roast a chicken instead of a Turkey.Make some gravy with it.
Homemade stuffing.Cranberries we'll see about those.

Mix the chopped up chicken with the stuffing and cranberries.Cook until browned.They show it's served with mashed potatoes and gravy.
I like how the stuffing crisps can be sectioned off and used as dunkers.
Let's get messy.If it works out I'll post pics.

As far as frying cheese.Maybe try it out first using frozen mozzarella sticks.I don't see much of a difference except for the work and shape.So we have flattened sticks with square indentations.Doubt anyone would complain.If they do.Take it away from them and eat it yourself.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 8,447
I make French toast in my waffle iron. Best of both worlds.
__________________
Welcome to Western New York, where the only kind of weather we have is inclement!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,672
I make hashbrowns in my waffle iron using either frozen or preferably dehydrated (and resoaked) potatoes. No flipping and everything gets evenly cooked. While they are cooking, I make the rest of breakfast in a skillet and set the table.
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 351
I'll have to try that. Thanks for the idea!
__________________

FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

Waffle This! Has anyone seen the videos, "Can you waffle this?" Wow! Some interesting food that I would have never thought of making in the waffle iron. The one that looked really fun to me were Tater Tots. I'm going to give that a try. Check it out. It really gets your mind going as to the possibilities of using a waffle iron for something other than waffles.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×