"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #1
Cook

Ways to keep hard boiled egg white EVEN

Many times when I hard boil eggs, and AFTER I peel them , then slice in half, (for deviled eggs), the WHITES are very often super thin ON ONE END . When I say thin , I mean as thin as a sheet of paper, or even thinner. I'd like to have a nice even thickness for the egg WHITES all around it.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can avoid this ?

thank you.

Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I knew there had to be a way - in fact, I kinda remember this question here at DC once upon a time but can't find it. However, Google did come up with a few hits. This one has the most amusing conversation - and, quite possibly, a solution. I say go for the square egg.

Centering an Egg Yolk

As for me, I don't care whether it's centered or not. I just care if the yolk filling is yummy.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I've heard of several solutions but cannot remember a one!

I can, however, tell you why it happens. Not scientific though I'm sure there is one.

The egg in all probability is aged. The chalazae, white strands which hold the yolk centred, is losing its integrity, allowing the yolk to move around.

Solution is to use fresher eggs but that in itself can lead to the problem of not being able to peel the egg smoothly.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I don't really worry about the position of the yolk. I'm more concerned that the egg is cooked properly and peels easily. This method from Serious Eats by Kenji Lopez-Alt works very well. The only thing I changed is to cook for a minute longer because I live at 4200 feet elevation, and water here boils at about 206, not 212.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't really care if the yolks are perfectly centred. But, like Traveler, I don't want the sides excessively thin. Sometimes the sides are so thin that they break when you try to put the devilled yolk back in the white.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Cook

I'm not worried about peeling the egg easily, because I have an almost magical method. When the eggs are ready, I immediately put them in a bath of ice water , with many ice cubes. That , somehow, separates the shell from the egg. That makes it super easy to remove the shell.

But I do very much want to have a yolk that is evenly , or almost so, nearly centered. It makes for a more attractive look for my guests AND then I would not have an "end" that is so thin it is missing. UGLY ! YUCK !

As I said above, many years ago, I read a article on how to avoid this problem. I just can't recall what that method was.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
i don't really care if the yolks are perfectly centred. But, like traveler, i don't want the sides excessively thin. Sometimes the sides are so thin that they break when you try to put the devilled yolk back in the white.

exactly !
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Why not just cook one or two eggs more than you'll need, say 12 eggs when you need 10. If the whites are perfect on the first ten eggs, save the last two for a snack, salad, or such. If you have a thin-walled egg, you'll have two back-up eggs. Just put a bit of yolk in the rejected white, eat it, and call it the cook's sample. Problem solved.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Cook

[QUOTE=Cooking Goddess;1572132]I knew there had to be a way - in fact, I kinda remember this question here at DC once upon a time but can't find it. Ho

Centering an Egg Yolk

Cooking Goddess, I'll certainly try the method in you posted web site. (turning eggs upside down and hold in the fridge for a day or so.)
Thank you
Old 11-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Why not just cook one or two eggs more than you'll need, say 12 eggs when you need 10. If the whites are perfect on the first ten eggs, save the last two for a snack, salad, or such. If you have a thin-walled egg, you'll have two back-up eggs. Just put a bit of yolk in the rejected white, eat it, and call it the cook's sample. Problem solved.
I think this is a very practical solution.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egg, eggs, oil

« Potato Skins | - »