"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hard to say. It depends on the weight of the slice and what's in it. I'd go for a lower cost one that includes duck liver so you can see if you like it. The more expensive ones may include costly ingredients such as truffles.
Tuffles! Yum.

Pâté de Foie Gras when made correctly should be silky and sensuous, with a dusky or earthy liver taste, but milder than calves or beef liver.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Pate is made from liver, it is not the pure foie gras, or liver. If there is a food that is the ultimate taste experience it is foie gras, at least in MHO.

The flavor of the pate at Wegman's, which does put out some really fine products, I cannot comment on.

Many people who say they do not like liver is because they have never tasted decent liver. The dark red stuff sold in the supermarkets as calves liver is awful offal.

True calves liver is white to pink in color. It must be at least 1/2 inch in thickness. When properly cooked the taste is ambrosia, nothing less.

Have introduced many confirmed liver haters to the product.

Whether you will like the pate sold at your supermarket, cannot tell you, nor can anyone else.

There are pates I like and those I can pass on. I have a recipe for a country pate I have to dig out, and have not thought about in years. It is a sheer delight, nothing less.

If I can find the recipe it is going on my Christmas menu.

Pate is an olio, a mixture, made with a liver base. That is all. If you want to risk a few bucks try it. If not don't.

Cannot add anything more.l
Very well said, couldn't agree more!
I can only add, that for someone who never had foie before, I would probably have them taste it in their pure form first. Nothing like any other livers!
I absolutely prefer goose liver, which is almost impossible to find.
But duck is nice, very nice too.
Pate could be a totally different experience, depending on what else is in it.
Not the pure foie taste.
Love them though!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok, so another question: How do I serve it? The store sells it by the slice at around 1" thick pieces. Do I just cut a piece off and put it on a cracker, or what? Wow, I must sound so uncultured, lol...
You can do that, or you can eat it with pear sections, or add a dab of tart cherry jam on top your canape, or a bit of mango chutney.... the sweet/tart flavors are great counterpoint to the rich liver.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
I don't think you sound uncultured at all!! At least you are willing to try something new and different. Better than those food snobs. Here's an idea: gather up a few friends who are equally adventerous. Everybody chips in a few bucks and you go out and but things people have always wanted to try but never have. Add a few bottles of your favorite beverages and have a grand old time. Then nobody is out anymore than their initial investment.
Never stop asking, that's how you learn and grow.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
All I have to add is just GO FOR IT! Buy one of the less expensive ones but one that still contains the duck liver. The best you can hope for is you don't like it because then you'll be buying the $20.00 stuff too - spending money on that instead of buying clothes and milk and toilet paper - late payments will start - you'll be on the streets, all because of this new food that you just can't get enough of!!!!!

Yes, it's addicting stuff!!! I've bought it with the best of intentions of putting it out at parties - it usually gets eaten while we are preparing other things.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
Executive Chef

If Pate is sold at the Deli see if they will let you try a sliver they usually let you have a taste of their meats and cheese if your not sure.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Remember that everything that is pate is not pate de foie gras. Lots of pate is made with chicken, veal, beef or pork livers. So be sure of what you are buying so you're tasting that product you're wanting to try.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Remember that everything that is pate is not pate de foie gras. Lots of pate is made with chicken, veal, beef or pork livers. So be sure of what you are buying so you're tasting that product you're wanting to try.
Yes. And in addition to what it's made from, pates vary widely in taste and texture.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
Executive Chef

The bottom line is, with most products of this nature, you'll get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, you'll get a product made with cheaper and inferior food products.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Okay, so I've finally tried it....annnnnnd, I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet. I tried it with some mini toast things, and was prepared for anything, but could definetely not handle the flavor. Wayyy to strong for someone who doesn't like liver to begin with.

I'm pretty good at acquiring tastes for things that I may not like upon the first try, so I'll give this another try some other time, and try to build up a taste for it...

Tags
None