"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What does Pâté de Foie Gras taste like?

I noticed that the Wegmans store in my area offers this, along with several other pâtés. I'm just curious, if I don't like beef liver, will I not like duck/goose liver either? Or does this have a completely different taste?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's still recognizable as liver. There are other flavors as well. It's a paste (pate) of goose liver.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's still recognizable as liver. There are other flavors as well. It's a paste (pate) of goose liver.
So when you say "recognizable as liver", do you mean it's flavor is similar to that of a beef liver? That's the only other liver I've ever tried.
This is a duck liver, btw, not a goose liver..I'm guessing there's not much of a difference?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Duck and goose are similar. As compared to beef liver, the taste is different but texture and some flavors are similar among all livers.

Really, it's difficult for someone to describe the taste of something you've never experienced. Especially since every pate is different because of the other ingredients.

If you are really curious, buy one and give it a try. If you end up tossing it after one taste, you've paid to learn something. Who knows, you may be discovering a new food love.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Ok, so another question: How do I serve it? The store sells it by the slice at around 1" thick pieces. Do I just cut a piece off and put it on a cracker, or what? Wow, I must sound so uncultured, lol...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Master Chef

Chopped chicken livers with a pedigree? Lol!!

No really - poultry liver (chicken, goose, duck) doesn't taste anything like beef, calf, or pork liver. I hate beef/calves liver with a passion - always have - but do love chicken (& other poultry) livers. The flavor is much milder & the texture is much softer.

If you don't want to take a chance & spring for pricey pates, buy some fresh chicken livers (usually about a buck or so for a pound) & saute them up in an obscene amount of butter until cooked thru, squeeze on some fresh lemon juice, & see how you like them. If you hate the taste, you haven't lost much (& if you have a dog or cat, they'll love them!). I'd also suggest buying a 1/4 pound of chopped chicken livers at a good deli counter, but every place's recipe can be so different, that I'm not sure you'd get the true flavor.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok, so another question: How do I serve it? The store sells it by the slice at around 1" thick pieces. Do I just cut a piece off and put it on a cracker, or what? Wow, I must sound so uncultured, lol...

That's right. Spread some on a cracker and enjoy. How much are they asking for a slice?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's right. Spread some on a cracker and enjoy. How much are they asking for a slice?
There's a few different kinds, and they go from $7 - $20 per 1" slice. Is this a good price?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Hard to say. It depends on the weight of the slice and what's in it. I'd go for a lower cost one that includes duck liver so you can see if you like it. The more expensive ones may include costly ingredients such as truffles.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Head Chef

Pate is made from liver, it is not the pure foie gras, or liver. If there is a food that is the ultimate taste experience it is foie gras, at least in MHO.

The flavor of the pate at Wegman's, which does put out some really fine products, I cannot comment on.

Many people who say they do not like liver is because they have never tasted decent liver. The dark red stuff sold in the supermarkets as calves liver is awful offal.

True calves liver is white to pink in color. It must be at least 1/2 inch in thickness. When properly cooked the taste is ambrosia, nothing less.

Have introduced many confirmed liver haters to the product.

Whether you will like the pate sold at your supermarket, cannot tell you, nor can anyone else.

There are pates I like and those I can pass on. I have a recipe for a country pate I have to dig out, and have not thought about in years. It is a sheer delight, nothing less.

If I can find the recipe it is going on my Christmas menu.

Pate is an olio, a mixture, made with a liver base. That is all. If you want to risk a few bucks try it. If not don't.

Cannot add anything more.l

Tags
None