"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Well, obviously, we live all over the world, so giving an appetizer specific to a restaurant is pointless.

The bests in my book:
I really like an appetizer portion of mussels when they're well-made with a great white wine. My daughter (4 years old) loves to eat them "properly" because it's different.

I love, love, love breaded, fried mozzarella cheese sticks when I can find them.

It's not an appetizer, but I love the freshly made chips they serve with your drinks at French bistros. Somehow, they taste better than other chips. I'm sure with the correct mandoline you can make them at home. They are just waffle fries.

In Turkey, we (my hubby's family) mak
e börek, a fried appetizer made with yufka dough and different fillings. I've given the recipes here. Love those.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Can I suggest a dish as simple as wonderful? It is an ancient recipe from Sforza court in Milano, about in 1400.
The correct recipe uses fillets of salted anchovies, washed in milk , but it's possible to use fillets of under oil anchovies. (of course, it's better the first solution).

Wash in some milk the anchovies fillets, after you have cleaned them from bones...Dry them.
Put in a dish with very good olive oil (it's important), parsley, and some slices of truffle. You can obviously use the truffle oil, much less expensive (here, white truffles are about 5-7000 /kg).
The recipe is finished.

In order to give you the right atmosphere, may I put the photo of Sforza Castle in Milano?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sforzesco.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1270  

Old 04-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

rdg, i've had grilled fresh anchovies, drizzled with truffle oil and whole parsley stems. they were fantastic!

the meat flaked off the bone, and the truffles and parsley complimented it perfectly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

I'm still dreaming about the seared sea scallops atop some kind of creamy lemon sauce I had at the Boulevard in S.F. Would love to have that recipe. Does anyone know if a recipe like this is in the "Boulevard" cookbook?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #35
Executive Chef

It was at a seaside restaurant in Santa Lucia, Naples. They took gamberoni (large prawns) fresh from the Mediterranean Sea, grilled them, and served them chilled tossed with extra virgin olive oil, lemon, garlic, tiny bits of ricotta salata, red chili flakes, fennel, oregano, and italian parsley. Had them with a bottle of Gavi di Gavi. Then again, it may have just been the overall atmosphere and experience that made them so great.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to jvpele Send a message via Yahoo to jvpele
Gator Tail with southwestern dipping sauce,Restaurant in Florida
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #37
Head Chef

I love seafood stuffed mushrooms. stuffed with like cheeses, herbs, crab meat, etc etc...

believe it or not olive garden's are FANTASTIC.....
Old 04-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #38
Head Chef

Wow Ironchef that sounds delish, gotta go to Naples someday I bet the food is great.

Salt and pepper calamari at P.F. Changs
Chicken satay at my favorite local Thai place
Indian sheekh kabab and chicken tikka ( I love them both at my favorite joint in Devon Chicago, not an upscale place but really good food)
Tom Yum Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Harisa (A Moroccon, Middle-eastern soup), Clam Chowder Bread Bowl in San Francisco and Lobster Bisques as appetizers are great
I had a Peeky Toe Crab Cake at Disney's flying fish restaurant which was out of this world. It had some crunchy onions on the top and an ancho chili sauce. Yummy.
I also had a purple fingerling potato salad with lobster meat in a light viniger dressing to die for. at Flying Fish.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #39
Master Chef

I had She-crab soup at a restaurant on Captiva Island, Fla that was out-of-this world!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Indian sheekh kabab and chicken tikka ( I love them both at my favorite joint in Devon Chicago, not an upscale place but really good food)
Okay, I take back that it's pointless to give specific restaurants. We actually get to DEVON STREET (AVENUE???) (I'm assuming it's the same area where all the international restaurants/groceries are) when we are in Chicago!!! I'm originally from the midwest (Indiana) and we ALWAYS stop by Devon Ave. (Turkish Grocery there) when we are there. So.... give it up... what's the name of restaurant???

Tags
None