What is the best appetizer you have ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just learned about this a couple of years ago, when I worked with a woman of Greek descent.

I definitely want to try it!

Lee

Do try it Lee.
It's wonderful tasting, warm and creamy. Great on fresh pita bread
or French bread.:chef::chef:

Very simple.
Roasted Garlic served with butter and awesome french bread, all DIY.
Bistro 110 in Chicago.
I may be boring with this one, but it helps with my garlic addiction.

Wow...everyone has such sophisticated tastes....I'm just a fat girl in the kitchen, so y'all are only gonna get simple good food from me.

Here are some of my favorite appetizers:

Easy stuffed mushrooms
stem a couple of dozen button mushrooms, chop the stems. Brown a pound of breakfast sausage, along with the chopped stems. Stir in one package of cream cheese until melted. Fill the caps, top with a little breadcrumb mixed with some parmesan, and bake until the mushrooms are tender.

Crab Rangoon
Mix crab meat with cream cheese, put a tablespoon or so on a wonton skin, pinch it up around the filling,deep fry until golden.

Stuffed New Potatoes
Had this at a wedding reception (held at the VFW).
Bake some new red potatoes until tender. Scoop out the tater. Mix with sour cream, crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese. Refill the skins and bake until everything is hot.

Lumpia
I haven't learned to make these from scratch, but I buy them frozen at the Asian market and they're just as good...fried in the wok. I do make a sauce to dip them in , that is applesauce, apricot preserves, cider vinegar, ground ginger and honey. It's a pretty good imitation of the duck sauce that comes in the little packets at Mr. China's take-out place.

I would have to say the artesian bread and cheese plate we had at the Absynth in Chicago. Artesian breads, 4 kinds of cheese (the best I have ever tasted), sliced apples, and two types of 'sauces'. Couldn't tell you what they were, but darn tasty. I do remember there was a brie and a French cheese but can't remember what the other two were.
Followed by Lobster rolls, crab cakes, and crab rangoon.

The best appetizer(we call them starters over here in England) was in a pub/restuarant in the Wirral(an area in England near Liverpool), it was a Black Pudding Tower served with a Whisky Cream sauce and topped with crispy strips of onion and bacon and was quite fabulous!

HI Kimbaby,
One of the best appertiz(s)ers I have ever had was Fois Gras with Kumquats served (hot) in a vol-au-vent case (home-made) - postively orgas...

Utterly delightful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Archiduc

I am rather fond of spring rolls if they are done right. Not to filling, sweet and savory at the same time with the proper sauce. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant in Charleston. It was right on a side channel with a couple of fishing boats tied up to it's pier. The spring rolls were perfect!! and the sauce they served with them.... ooohhh so good!!!

I'm from Texas so it's got to be a Mexican layered dip--sour cream, cheese, refried beans (though I cook pinto beans and just puree them) and avocado and served with nacho chips.---the Kazakhs have gone wild over it------never had anything like it

I had amazing chinese spring rolls at a party once. They were absolutely to die for.. the right amount of everything-beansprouts, julliened carrots, sliced onions and few other stuff (cant remember at the moment) the fillling was full of tasty juice and was plenty of the filling.. the pastry was very crisp. Yummy.

There's just too many for me to choose from. But the last wonderful appetizer I had was Hamachi Kama (grilled yellowtail cheeks) with Ponzu sauce at the Poway Sushi Lounge. Delicious!

I like to make spinach-artichoke dip, roll it up in cresent roll dough an bake it!

Attachments

• spinacharichokepinwheels.jpg
    spinacharichokepinwheels.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 192
of recent note were actually at two barbecue joints:

"famous dave's
hickory-smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and chipotle peppers makes this a spread worth swimming upstream for. Served with fire-grilled flatbread."

this one caught me off guard. much more smokey and texture-rich than other smoked salmon i'd ever had--some kind of dry country smoke, maybe? anyone familiar with what might have made it so special?

and the other from buddy's barbecue:
buddy's nachos
with chips, sour creams, cheddar, fresh tomato and scallions, served with pulled pork or chicken with salsa on the side. the sweetneess of the pork with the creaminess of the sour cream is ungodly.

i'm so obviously a southern gentleman after making this post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom